It turns out… unicorns are real! In fact, FreshBooks just became one after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion. And ever since launching in 2003, we’ve been on a steady incline towards one goal: Building easy-to-use accounting software for small business owners. It’s the goal that’s driven us to expand into five offices, serving customers in over 160 countries. And it’s the goal we’d love for you to be a part of as a member of our global team as we continue our journey.
FreshBooks is seeking a Data Engineering Team Lead to join our team. As part of the Data and Analytics Team, you will help us build and shape the future of our Data Engineering and Production Support teams, framework and processes. If you’re committed to great work and are constantly looking for ways to improve the systems you’re responsible for, we’d love to chat with you!
What you'll do:
- Build, mentor and lead a team that specializes in data engineering.
- Identify and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team.
- Create a technical vision in order to turn it into reality with the help of the team.
- Maintain high standards of quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits. Identify and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team.
- Assist in the collection and documentation of user's requirements, development of user stories, estimates and work plans.
- Participate in peer-reviews of solution designs and related code.
- Assess opportunities for application and process improvement and prepare documentation of rationale to share with team members and other affected parties.
- Adhere to high-quality development principles while delivering solutions on-time and on-budget.
- Collaborate with data engineers, data scientists, and data analysts to design and refine a series of SLAs, SLOs and SLIs that drive excellence in data engineering monitoring, observability and support.
- Design a robust incident management framework and work closely with Data Engineering management and product owners to provide timely and accurate communications.
- Collaborate closely with platform, infrastructure and architecture teams to ensure our data engineering systems are well structured for scale, performance and cost.
What you bring:
- Enthusiasm for data engineering!
- 5+ years experience creating and maintaining data pipelines
- Experience leading a team in the data & analytics industry
- Experience with Google Cloud, or another major cloud provider such as AWS or Azure
- Experience with BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift, or similar cloud data warehouse technologies
- Experience with Airflow (Workflow Management Platform)
- Strong programming skills in SQL and Python or a similar language
- Experience with streaming technology (e.g. Google Pub/Sub, AWS Kinesis, Dataflow, Apache Beam, Spark, etc.)
- Experience with Docker, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Terraform, and/or other DevOps and infrastructure as code technologies.
- Experience with monitoring, incident management and alert management tools (e.g. Datadog, PagerDuty)
- A strong practitioner of test-driven (and behaviour driven) development
- Experience with Git workflows, continuous integration and automated build pipelines
- Experience working in an Agile environment
What you might bring:
- A track record of staying at the forefront of data engineering technology.
- Experience with industry ETL & BI tools (e.g. Fivetran, Stitch, Talend, Informatica, Datastage, Looker, Tableau, PowerBI, etc.)
- Subject matter data expertise in the SaaS industry.
- A limitless imagination for where data could go and what we can do with it to make our customers and our people awesome!
Why Join Us
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build a world-class one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.
Here at FreshBooks, we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Should you require any accommodations during the recruitment process, please advise your recruiter on how we can meet your needs to ensure a fair and equitable selection process in a confidential manner.