FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity – Principal Software Engineer (API) (Software Architect/Director Level)
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate and set technical vision for our API platform
- Contribute to setting technical and architectural direction for our entire Engineering department
- Research, design and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions
- Learn in-depth details of the current codebase, and map long term improvements
- Be a coach for Developers and an advocate for clean code, good testing practices, and quality software
- Ship your code and enhance our delivery process
- Modernize existing services and help us define, standardize and automate the test of domain boundaries
- Develop your craft, improve your expertise in software development, and raise the level of the teams around you
What you have:
- 15+ years of experience in web application development
- Strong experience in one of our core technologies - Python and Ruby on Rails - or a strong track record in C, C++ or Java
- Experience with databases and SQL – our database is MySQL
- Experience writing and working with REST APIs
- Demonstrated experience coaching and mentoring technical teams, and growing the overall technical maturity of our Engineering organization
- Experience doing the hard bits of Software Engineering -- keeping applications nimble and current all while under heavy usage
- Have experienced building API for microservices and investing in architecture setup
- A deep understanding of test-driven (and behavioural test driven) development, and of building substantially complete test code, and not just for the happy path
- Familiarity with continuous integration (or better, continuous delivery) and automated build pipelines
- The ability to balance desire to ship code quickly to our customers with the responsibility of making good technical decisions
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning, and of applying new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve the code and Engineering organization
What you might bring:
We're looking for a variety of talented technical leadership and know that a mix of skills and experience is useful. Even having only a couple of the skills from the list below would be a strong asset.
- Expertise in the core areas of business of FreshBooks (accounting, payments, small business solutions)
- A background in DevOps and service ownership, and a clear understanding of bounded contexts and how they map onto microservices.
- Strong pair programming or mob programming skills, both as a mechanism for producing better code, and for teaching skills
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, or another major cloud provider such as AWS
- Experience with Redis / ElasticSearch & RabbitMQ
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eye’s laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
Here at FreshBooks, we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Should you require any accommodations during the recruitment process, please advise your recruiter on how we can meet your needs to ensure a fair and equitable selection process in a confidential manner.