FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - Manager, Data Engineering
As an Engineering Manager for Data Engineering at FreshBooks, you'll be responsible for the development of our data infrastructure/operations team and will work with the team to scale data pipelines to millions of users. As a leader and manager, you'll handle a group of data engineering team members and help accelerate their execution and growth.
You're already a skilled leader, able to recruit new talent and champion development teams and their leaders. Your technical experience with scalable software or data platform technologies allows you to lead by example. Strong communication and interpersonal skills allow you to effectively influence across the organization. In all areas, you're able to anticipate and plan for the future.
What you'll do:
- Drive the execution of the technical vision of our Data Infrastructure.
- Manage a group of data engineers, data modellers, and other data-related roles.
- Set, maintain and raise the level of technical excellence across your group and the entire development organization.
- Work closely with the Analysts, Data Scientists, and Product to build a world-class engineering and data organization.
- Attract and recruit talent to help execute the FreshBooks mission.
- Anticipate and prepare for the future - technology, people, culture and process.
What you have:
- Enthusiasm for data engineering!
- Proven technical management experience with a team of 5 or more developers over a period of at least 2 years, in an agile or scrum environment.
- Strong technical background with experience working with large codebases and large amounts of data.
- History of establishing teams by developing leaders and recruiting exceptional talent.
- The ability to influence through strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- A demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity, develop plans and successfully execute over multiple quarters.
- A love of learning, a drive for self-improvement and a desire to help everyone be better.
- Experience with Google Cloud, or another major cloud provider such as AWS.
- Experience with Git workflows, automated testing, continuous integration and automated build pipelines.
- Strong programming skills in SQL, Python or a similar language.
- Experience with Big Query, Redshift, Snowflake, or similar cloud data warehouse technology.
What you may have:
- A degree in Computer Science/Engineering or Data Engineering.
- Experience developing and/or managing real-time data pipelines and fast data architectures.
- Experience with Spark, Kafka, Flink, Gearpump, Dataflow, or other streaming technologies.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, and Terraform, and other DevOps and infrastructure as code technologies.
- Experience with other modern storage technologies such as Cassandra, MongoDB, and others.
- A track record of staying at the forefront of data engineering technology.
- A limitless imagination for where data could go and what we can do with it to make our customers and our people awesome!
Why Join Us
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build a world-class one, right here in Toronto, Canada.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all of our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com