FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Remote)
The Shared Services team at FreshBooks is looking for talented & experienced engineers to help us build and support our cloud infrastructure. Join our growing organization and you will get a chance to be in the driving seat of innovation and change at FreshBooks.
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer, you’ll be joining a team of mix background technologists. Our mandate is to provide secure, flexible and stable platform solutions that empower our feature development teams to create the highest quality services for our customers. This team is also responsible for Reliability Engineering at FreshBooks.
What you'll do:
- Develop, deploy and operate cloud native infrastructure, on GCP, for the FreshBooks’ SaaS accounting platform.
- Taking a data-driven approach to operations you will drive a culture of automation, both within the team and throughout the organization, to scale FreshBooks efficiently and reliably.
- Partner with developer teams to establish Service Level Indicators (SLIs) and Service Level Objectives (SLOs) to the existing FreshBooks’ services that make up our product.
- Performing service criticality and reliability analysis of each subsystem of FreshBooks’ systems.
- Developing & Improving application & Infrastructure monitoring and alerting standards
- Helping raise the bar on our incident response management process and joining a periodic on-call rotation.
- You will help harden & operate various technologies used at FreshBooks like: RabbitMQ Service, DNS, Kubernetes, GCP networking, etc.
- Create cutting edge cloud infrastructure through Infrastructure-as-Code and automation
- Build and improve cloud infrastructure self-service tooling that powers our internal platform used by hundreds of developers.
- Lead and participate in technical discussions to aid system design, analysis, and troubleshooting.
We think you'll be an amazing fit for this position if your application can demonstrate:
- 8+ years as a software engineer and writing Infrastructure as a code.
- You have spent at least 2 years as a Site Reliability Engineer.
- You have a natural instinct to drive for operational maturity with partner teams.
- You have demonstrated experience supporting at least one of the predominant public clouds (AWS, Azure, or GCP). Bonus points for experience on GCP.
- You have a deep understanding of Cloud computing concepts and solutions.
- You have hands-on experience with container technologies, like Docker runtime and Kubernetes orchestration.
- You have hands-on experience working with Infrastructure-as-Code tools such as Terraform.
- You have expertise with Linux Operating system administration and a good understanding of Linux fundamentals like signals, scheduling, filesystems.
- You have strong TCP/IP networking knowledge preferably across the cloud deployment stack - DNS, LDAP, network routing, L3/L7 protocols etc.
- Very Strong problem solving & troubleshooting skills including ability to perform root cause analysis and preventative analysis.
- Experience using and/or implementing modern observability tooling such as Prometheus, InfluxDB, Grafana, Logstash, Kibana or Jaeger.
- Experience with APM and monitoring tools such as DataDog and New Relic.
- You are available after hours for planned activities and support as required.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Experience with continuous integration pipelines (you’ll work closely with our Engineering Effectiveness team to help us get quality code in front of customers quickly).
- Experience with web applications developed in Python.
- A degree in Computer Science/Engineering or Information Technology.
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.