FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - Senior Site Reliability Engineer
In this role, you will be the owner of the database systems at FreshBooks. You will run and maintain highly available, scalable and low latency database systems. You will also build strong relationships with the technical leadership team to ensure alignment and operational excellence against our near and long term objectives for our SaaS product and forward think ways for us to always be better, even if it means to change our entire database strategy and architecture.
What You'll Do:
- Provision and manage database systems in cloud (AWS/GCP) and production environments.
- Maintain data integrity and high availability of database systems.
- Handle configurations for MySQL, Redis, ElasticSearch and other persistent storage systems.
- Triage, fix, or escalate system and database issues.
- Update and tune database systems in high volume environment loads.
- Work with Operations to manage database hardware infrastructure.
- Use and write automation and reporting tools to manage databases.
- Identify and recommend tools and services for managing infrastructure.
- Automate systems and deployment procedures.
- Analyze and develop capacity planning for database growth.
What You Bring:
- 5+ years RDBMS experience working in a high volume production environment.
- Advanced level knowledge in various aspects of MySQL, Redis or ElasticSearch. Willingness to develop expertise for unfamiliar persistent storage solutions.
- Solid knowledge of physical, logical database design and schema design principles with demonstrated aptitude to apply standard methodologies for scalable designs and influence developers.
- Experience working with Google Cloud, AWS or other public cloud technologies and their database solutions.
- Knowledge of NoSQL databases (Couchbase, Redis, MongoDB, etc.)
- Experience with Datadog, Newrelic, Nagios, Cacti, Sysdig and/or Grafana.
- Proficiency in writing automation scripts in Shell, Python, PHP or Perl.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and team spirit.
- Openness to exploring new technology and share and learn from your peers.
What You Might Bring (Nice to have):
- Experience as a MySQL DBA in a LAMP (Python) environment.
- Experience with Percona.
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.