FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity – Principal Software Engineer - Personalization
FreshBooks is looking for talented technical influencers at a Principal level to join our Personalization Team. You will be working closely with the Lifecycle Marketing and Data Analytics team to drive growth at FreshBooks and enable us to provide the best personalized experience to our customers that possible. You'll learn hands-on about how customers are using FreshBooks, collect and use the data to improve our product and engage with happier users. If you're looking for an environment where you can continue to develop your craft, explore new technologies, and have a larger contribution, we'd love to chat with you!
What you'll do:
- Collaborate on cross-functional Client-facing teams working on features for our customers, particularly our Lifecycle Marketing and Data Analytics features
- Contribute to setting a technical and architectural direction for our entire Engineering department
- Implement best in class solutions, doing the actual coding as well
- Be the key driver in establishing our internal best practices for personalization and optimize the ability for our customers & partners to navigate through the applications
- Learn in-depth details of the current codebase, and map long term improvements
- Be a coach for Engineers and an advocate for clean code, good testing practices, and quality software
- Develop your craft, improve your expertise in software development, and raise the level of the teams around you
What you bring:
- Strong experience in an Agile or Lean environment
- Hands-on experience in web application development, preferably in Python
- Solid understanding of the trending backend and frontend web development technologies and practices
- Working experience using MySQL or Postgres
- Strong interest in personalization and experimentation
- Working experience with CI/CD and automated build pipeline
- Strong ability to balance the desire to ship code quickly to our customers with the responsibility of making good technical decisions
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning and utilizing new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve the code and Engineering organization
What you might bring:
We're looking for a variety of talented technical leadership and know that a mix of skills and experience is useful. Even having only a couple of the skills from the list below would be a strong asset.
- Expertise in the core areas of business of FreshBooks (accounting, payments, small business solutions)
- A background in DevOps and service ownership, and a clear understanding of bounded contexts and how they map onto MicroServices.
- Strong pair programming or mob programming skills, both as a mechanism for producing better code, and for teaching skills
- Experience in the domain of Personalization or Online Marketing as a developer
- Experience in A/B testing
- Experience with Redis/ElasticSearch and/or RabbitMQ
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, or another major cloud provider such as AWS
- Nice to have GraphQL and JSON API
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eye’s laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
Here at FreshBooks, we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Should you require any accommodations during the recruitment process, please advise your recruiter on how we can meet your needs to ensure a fair and equitable selection process in a confidential manner.