FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - Engineering Manager (Site Reliability Team)
As an Engineering Manager - SRE, you'll be responsible for the development of Site Reliability Engineering teams and elevating the SRE practice within FreshBooks. In this critical role you’ll help deliver world class operations, maintain reliability as we scale our product offering, expand our service and go global. The SRE team has a special interest in automated monitoring, alerting and reusable infrastructure that support our feature development teams. As a guide in the development and delivery of software, tools and infrastructure, you'll know how to scale our platform to millions of users while keeping our production infrastructure resilient. Your extraordinary technology skills will help you guide your teams through complex and ambiguous environments towards simple and elegant implementations.
You're already a skilled Leader, able to recruit new talent and champion teams and their Leaders. Your technical experience with large-scale web technologies allows you to lead by example. Strong communication and interpersonal skills allow you to effectively influence across an organization. In all areas you're able to anticipate and plan for the future.
What you'll do:
- Leading, developing and expanding our production SRE cloud operations automation team.
- Taking a data-driven approach to operations you will drive a culture of automation, both within the team and throughout the organization, to scale FreshBooks efficiently and reliably.
- Representing the SRE team to the rest of the Product Development organization.
- Partnering with developer teams to establish Service Level Indicators (SLIs) and Service Level Objectives (SLOs) to the existing FreshBooks’ services that make up our product.
- Performing service criticality and reliability analysis, of each subsystem of FreshBooks’ systems.
- Giving guidance to application teams to improve their application monitoring and alerting, to stop issues before they impact customers.
- Developing & delivering an SRE roadmap to achieve increased reliability of FreshBooks.
- Establishing SRE best common practices and templates.
- Helping raise the bar on our incident response management process and joining a periodic on-call rotation.
- Set, maintain and raise a level of technical excellence across your team and the entire development organization.
- Working closely with the Product Development leadership, including the VP of Engineering, VP of Product and Directors, to build a world-class engineering organization.
- Inspiring team members and helping them to achieve their career progression goals.
- Setting expectations and providing timely feedback on performance.
- Planning and prioritizing projects in an agile, fast-moving environment.
- Attracting and recruiting talent across the engineering organization to help execute the FreshBooks’ mission.
- Anticipating and preparing for the future - across technology, people, culture and process.
We think you'll be an amazing fit for this position if your application can demonstrate:
- Three or more years of success at leading and developing high-performing SRE, DevOps, Software engineering, or similar teams.
- Extensive experience with influencing and developing a DevOps culture across an organization.
- Experience with modern cloud web environments, ideally on Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Project management experience, especially using Scrum or Kanban processes.
- Very Strong problem solving & troubleshooting skills including ability to perform root cause analysis and preventative analysis.
- Wiliness to be a hands-on contributor.
- Experience in defining incident and change management process and procedures.
- Experience with the operational aspects of software systems such as monitoring, centralized logging, and alerting.
- Experience of defining KPI's, SLI’s and SLA's as well as managing teams to excel at these.
- Experience using and/or implementing modern observability tooling such as Prometheus, InfluxDB, Grafana, Logstash, Kibana or Jaeger.
- Experience with APM and monitoring tools such as DataDog and New Relic.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Experience with or knowledge of Information Security Standards like ISO, SOC, PCI DSS and NIST.
- Experience with continuous integration pipelines (you’ll work closely with our Engineering Effectiveness team to help us get quality code in front of customers quickly)
- Experience with web applications developed in Python.
- Knowledge of some or all of: web network protocols, security, persistence solutions, RabbitMQ, Celery, Puppet, Ansible, Kubernetes, Docker, Elasticsearch, Terraform and similar technologies.
- Experience with cloud native open source software tools such as Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, Jenkins or RunDeck.
- A degree in Computer Science/Engineering or Information Technology.
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com