The coop term begins in January 2020. You can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we're just getting started and there's a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an extraordinary online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
FreshBooks is currently seeking co-op students to join our Platform Engineering team as Backend Developers. At FreshBooks, we pride ourselves on our inclusive intern experience, where you are fully integrated onto a platform engineering team. You will have opportunities to ship production code early into your term - and work with experienced developers. We are always looking for new perspectives to bring to our teams!
Our platform runs on Google Cloud Platform, in Kubernetes, using Ansible and Terraform. The platform you'll be working on powers services that are built in Python and Ruby, and we use EmberJS on the front-end. We deploy often and you will have the opportunity to see your code deliver an impact to customers around the world!
We are happy to offer 1-on-1 mentorship opportunities with a Senior Developer to help shape your unique term at FreshBooks.
You can read more about us here: https://www.freshbooks.com/interns
What you'll do:
- Tackle challenges of data pipeline resilience and scalability with our platform
- Integrate new data source for our data infrastructure services
- Work extensively with Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services where our data infrastructure lives.
- Write scalable and high-quality code improving the resiliency of our various processes, written in Python.
- Implement robust automated testing schemes to maintain code coverage and quality
- Participate in technical decisions that affect FreshBooks data architecture and make a lasting impact
What you'll bring:
- Pursuing a degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field
- Experience working with databases like MySQL or Postgres
- Experience with Cloud Platforms (AWS/GCP)
- Experience with a Version Control System like Git
- A passion for backend development and data engineering
- Preferred: past experience in developing data-intensive applications during a co-op or work term
Even if you don't check off all the boxes, we encourage you to consider applying. We are committed to building a more diverse workplace and understand that skills and talent can come in a variety of forms.
The reason people are proud to work at FreshBooks is because each person knows their opinion is respected, and they can see the difference they make in the lives of over 10 million small business owners around the world. If you want to accelerate your career, work on projects you're passionate about and have just as much of a life outside the office as inside—you're exactly what we're looking for.
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company can be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding what we're looking for in an intern, or about the co-op experience, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.