The Opportunity: Product Manager (Billing and Account Management)
FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
FreshBooks is looking for a Product Manager to help reshape the world to meet the needs of small business owners and entrepreneurs - our customers. You will be focused on our customer billing, authentication, and account management offerings. Critical pieces of our customers’ experience and business success are flexibility in our customer accounts (the ability to model our trial/pricing/billing/discount capabilities to meet evolving needs) and ensuring access to those accounts is secure. In this role, you will be tackling both. If you're passionate about taking on big challenges head on, delivering simply amazing experiences for our customers, and ready to back it up with results for our business — this job is for you.
What you have:
- 3+ years proven work experience in product management and/or billing systems engineering/architecture
- You're a passionate leader with a keen ability to create structure from ambiguity
- You're an excellent communicator who can explain complex technical concepts in simple, easy-to-understand terms
- You’re adept at thinking “big picture” and developing a compelling vision and roadmap for your product area
- You’re highly organized, and managing projects across multiple stakeholders comes naturally
- You’ve got a history of bringing major features to market fast, measuring impact, and iterating based on customer feedback (familiarity with “lean” methodologies a plus)
- You’ve got experience in software development and web technologies — you don’t write the code, but you can ask questions and understand how the tech stack impacts your product
- Big bonus points for
- Experience with billing systems that power SaaS pricing and discount models (e.g. Aria, Zuora)
- Strong knowledge of authentication standards, technologies, and approaches (e.g., multi-factor authentication)
What you’ll do:
- Spend time with stakeholders across marketing, sales, finance, and product to understand what pricing/billing/promotional demands our billing systems will need to support
- Spend time with customers to develop a deep empathy for the challenges of small businesses
- Analyze, synthesize, and document customer and stakeholder needs into a compelling product vision and roadmap from here to there; be the company expert in how we harness tech to flexibly price/promote/bill, ensure secure and contemporary practices in authentication, and empower customers to try our products and manage their accounts
- Work hand in hand with your engineering team to explore, critique, and validate solutions that map stakeholder and customer needs to the tech that addresses them
- Lead build vs. buy evaluations, assessment of third party tech in a structured manner that empowers clear decisions, and structuring of deal terms
- Plan and manage projects that often require intricate phasing and coordination to ensure high-quality results and experience for our customers
- Be the leader of our product, and voice of the customer within your scrum team, so everyone knows what they’re building and why
- Ensure the team is always working on the most important things, knows what's next, and knows when they're done — this means planning sprints, and writing user stories
- Be the team's primary communicator and presenter, ensuring the rest of the org, executives, and other stakeholders are made aware of all major decisions and their implications
- Make the thousands of unsexy decisions, and shoulder the dirty work — reviewing legal contracts, support issues, etc. — that helps your team charge forward without stall
- Understand the unit economics of our business, know which one you’re trying to impact, and how to know if you’re successful
- Be responsible for your results and report out to partners and execs on impact your products and projects are making
- Monitor and report on the health of our billing, authentication, and account systems; investigate and remediate escalated issues
What we can promise you:
- A dedicated and talented product team that employs lean agile practices to deliver game-changing experiences.
- A Sr. Product Manager with industry expertise to help you hone your craft in the ways of product management
- An incredible growth opportunity; you’ll learn a lot about what it takes to ship great software -- and you’ll learn it from the best people out there.
- The opportunity to deliver product features that instantly get used by millions of users around the world. We follow user-centered design in everything we do, and you’ll be spending your first month on our support team (as all new FreshBookers do), just talking to them.
- An opportunity to contribute to an award-winning Product Development team where data and research matter more than opinions.
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.