FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building an extraordinary online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity: VP of Data
As VP of Data at FreshBooks you'll lead the development of critical data processing infrastructure. As a seasoned leader and manager you'll direct a data engineering team and help accelerate their execution. As a guide in data pipeline development and operation you'll understand that data is a key input for growth via product innovation and customer acquisition and retention. You'll have the technical experience and skill to navigate your teams through complex and ambiguous environments towards simple and elegant solutions.
You're already a skilled leader, able to recruit new talent, and nurture and develop teams as well as their leaders. Your technical experience with large-scale web and data technologies allows you to lead by example. Great communication and interpersonal skills allow you to effectively influence across an organization. In all areas you're able to anticipate and plan for the future.
What you'll do:
- Own and drive the technical vision of FreshBooks data systems by leading teams and working with other groups throughout the company.
- Define and lead the transformation of internal IT systems to cloud and SaaS platforms while maintaining budget and services for a fast-growing company.
- Work closely with other key leaders including the CFO, VP of Engineering, Sales & Business, Director of Analytics and others to build an elite data analytics and IT infrastructure.
- Lead by example and nurture a group of engineers, technical leads, and managers.
- Set, maintain, and raise the level of technical excellence across your group.
- Attract and recruit talent across the organization to help execute the FreshBooks mission.
- Prepare and plan for continuous improvement of technology, people, culture, and process.
What you have:
- Validated technical data engineering management experience, leading a team of 10 or more over a period of at least 3 years.
- Technical expertise in one or more relevant areas, particularly the design, implementation, and maintenance of date pipelines and/or IT infrastructure.
- Experience with many of Amazon Redshift or Google BigQuery or similar data warehouse, mySQL or other relational databases, ETL, Python, enterprise IT systems and policies.
- A history of building teams by developing leaders and managers and recruiting outstanding talent.
- The ability to influence at an organizational level.
- A demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity, develop plans, and successfully execute over multiple quarters.
- A love of learning, a constant drive for self-improvement, and a desire to help everyone be better.
What you may have:
- Experience working with Scrum or Agile teams.
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field.
Why Join Us?
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all of our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com