The Opportunity – Data Scientist
This position requires someone who loves to roll up their sleeves and build the technical bedrock and machine learning models to take advanced analytics at FreshBooks to the next level. Primarily you will be working on designing and building machine learning models to provide the structure for sound data analysis and decisions. The best person for this role will be a naturally inquisitive problem solver with a strong technical foundation with an interest in supporting business outcomes.
What you’ll need:
- MSc in a quantitative field, or equivalent experience
- A deep understanding of the theory underpinning various machine learning models
- Experience with a statistical software and a scripting language (ideally Python or R)
- Experience in applying statistical analysis techniques to real-world data
- A highly collaborative and team oriented mindset
- Great communication skills, with the ability to present complex ideas in simple terms
Not required, but great to have:
- PhD in a quantitative field, or equivalent experience
- Experience using SQL (ideally PostgreSQL)
- Experience with version control tools (GIT or similar)
- Experience using big data tools (Spark, Hadoop or similar)
- Experience providing guidance cross functionally with non-technical departments
- Previous experience at a startup or SaaS company
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, health benefits from day 1 and extra days off (office is closed between Christmas and New Years)
- RRSP matching program and generous parental leave policy
- Weekly catered lunches, beer, and snacks
- Team and company offsites, hackoffs, and paid community volunteer days and religious observance days
- Professional development opportunities and flexible work schedules
- Office gym with showers and complimentary towel service
- Secure, indoor bike parking with well-stocked repair bay
- Ping Pong, Foosball, Massage Chairs, Nintendo Stations and more.
- Dog friendly office
- TTC Accessible
Sure, there are perks, but the real reason people are proud to work at FreshBooks is because each person knows their opinion is respected, and they can see the difference they make in the lives of over 10 million small business owners around the world. If you want to accelerate your career, work on projects you're passionate about and have just as much of a life outside the office as inside—you're exactly what we're looking for.
We value our people...
We recognize and reward ingenious work. We all have real lives, and respect work lifestyle balance. We all have a voice that is heard throughout the company. We always make time for fun, and have one of the most unique, employee-led cultures out there. Join the FreshBooks choir or a class in the gym, organize a gaming night, teach a dev lunch and learn, or use a paid volunteer day to share your skills with the community. Salaries are competitive and compensation packages include stake in the company. Interested? Let’s get started!
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 email@example.com.