Java Software Engineer
Services | Bristol, UK
About the company:
ForgeRock® rocks when others are rolling. We aren’t your typical high-tech company and aren’t looking for typical people. We look for real people. Whoever you are. Whatever you are. While you play well with others you aren’t afraid to be you and let others be themselves. Someone has called you wicked smart before, but you would never refer to yourself that way.
ForgeRock pioneered open source identity and access management, went on to invent identity relationship management for customer identities, and is now busy playing with the identity of things. Yes, we’re growing fast, but we remain true to our start up culture. We’re decidedly creative, we’re always learning, no one hesitates to ask questions, and we’re on a never-ending search for new ideas.
Our customers are some of the biggest companies, organizations, and even countries in the world. On any given day, it’s likely that the ForgeRock Identity Platform helped keep your data safe, gave you access to stuff, and supported trusted relationships between you, companies and the devices you were using. Please read more about us at forgerock.com or follow ForgeRock on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/forgerock.
A contributing member within the global AM Sustaining team, focused on delivering quality sustaining releases of ForgeRock products through close collaboration with the wider Support and Sustaining team and Engineering.
This role will take direction from the Global AM Release Sustaining Lead to set priorities and achieve goals, assignments, and timelines. We also expect that they will be participating in the planning, contents, schedule and quality of AM Sustaining releases, making active contributions to the development of improved process and methodology to achieve better quality and efficiency.
This person may also provide coaching and mentoring of others in the Support and Sustaining teams in specific product and technology areas, to improve collective knowledge. It is essential that this person is a team player and is expected to contribute to a greater shared effectiveness through active participation and collaboration within the Customer Success organization and beyond.
- Participation in the planning, contents, schedule and quality of AM Sustaining releases.
- Responsible for all of the key roles of Release Sustaining including bug verification, bug fixes, backports, as well as liaising with engineering to ensure fixes are ported across the appropriate maintenance versions of the product.
- To take an active interest in the tools, processes and procedures used in support and sustaining with a view to ensuring they remain fit for purpose.
- Direct interaction when appropriate with ForgeRock customer escalations, helping them identify and resolve complex technical issues with ForgeRock products.
- Developing/Coding/Testing resolutions to customer problems, working with engineering to ensure they are integrated into the AM products.
- Participation in escalation calls to brief customer management on support cases and assist in the creation of action plans aiming to solve customer issues when required.
- Developing customer-facing support documentation to summarize common support issues and contribute to the self-support materials available to customers.
- Provide regular feedback to the Principal Release Engineer, highlighting gaps in functionality, usability issues, and general level of serviceability of the products.
- Participation in the AM engineering calls and sprint reviews to remain informed about the latest changes to the implementation.
- Lead and drive discussions with Support/Sustaining team and interfacing groups in the organization to influence positive changes to process, resolve issues efficiently and mentor others to meet company goals.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- B.S. degree in an Engineering or Science Discipline.
- Minimum 5 years post-bachelor's degree experience in developer role with some experience of customer mediation.
- Excellent communication - both verbal and written; support is conducted via email and phone.
- Strong development experience in Java/J2EE web development.
- Proven track record to delivery quality, robust, comprehensive code solutions.
- Experience leading the sustaining/support of internal projects.
- Experience with performance analysis.
- Solid understanding of Internet technologies, specifically a solid knowledge of protocols such as HTTP, SSL/TLS, IPv4, XML, and ideally also SAML, OAuth, OpenID Connect.
- Experience with troubleshooting Microsoft Internet Information Services.
- Strong experience working on Windows, Mac & Linux with varied skills around administration and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated strong collaboration and teamwork skills.
- The ability to be a good listener and to be able to identify the key customer information to identify the customer's problem, providing clear, comprehensive updates in a timely, responsive manner.
- Provide regular ForgeTalk sessions on various topics, ie: software components, troubleshooting techniques to others in the organization.
Life at ForgeRock:
We believe in and facilitate a flexible, collaborative work environment. We’ve grown enormously, but remain true to the innovative, can-do startup values that got us here. Most important of all, we keep hiring talented, smart, fun, and genuinely nice people because that’s who we want to succeed with every day. Below are just a few of the great things we have to offer at ForgeRock:
- A great team of smart, fun and genuinely nice individuals.
- Awesome company culture focused around providing a flexible and collaborative work environment
- Regular office bonding events, from lunches and happy hours to group offsites and hack-days
- Well-stocked fridges, whether you’re hungry or thirsty
- Competitive benefits and perks
- We’re Mac-friendly!
- Generous employee referral bonus program
- Amazing offices across the globe – San Francisco HQ; Vancouver, WA; Austin, TX; Munich, Germany; London & Bristol, UK; Grenoble & Paris, FR; Oslo, NO; Singapore, Australia & counting!