Build the first modern logistics platform
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
The data platform forms the backbone for transporting data across our systems to drive Flexport Insights. Our team mission is to empower our engineering teams with common infrastructure to make the world's trade data accessible for modern analytics and machine learning. We're at an inflection point in our company's data narrative: we're moving to a modern Data Mesh Architecture in the midst of a company-wide SOA migration, and are looking for engineers to lead us in this transition.
High-quality software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At Flexport you’ll develop systems that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.
- Be part of the data platform team and build a shared platform to stream data across our organization.
- Work closely with product managers, data science and analytics, and engineering to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Evolve the maturity of our monitoring systems and processes to improve visibility and failure detection in our infrastructure.
- Craft the engineering vision, and own the technical landscape, for our data platform
- Mentor and grow junior engineers.
What you’ll build:
- Foundational components of our data mesh, empowering teams to own their domain data products.
- Framework to express stateful batch and stream data processing workflows.
- Deliver supply chain insights to logistics teams via a world-class analytics experience.
You should have:
- 5+ years of experience working with building analytics architectures and with batch and streaming technologies (e.g. Airflow, Hadoop, Hive, Kafka/Kinesis, Spark/Flink, and similar technologies)
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, and engineers alike.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- An aptitude for learning quickly.
- Required: Experience in Python, Ruby, Java, Scala. Experience with AWS, GCP, or another cloud service provider.
- Ideally: Experience with Kinesis/Kafka, Flink/Spark/Beam, and Kubernetes.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. Our data stack is in the process of moving from a Data Monolith on top of Snowflake, S3, Kinesis, Fivetran, and Airflow on Kubernetes into a Data Mesh architecture. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker and orchestrated primarily with Kubernetes.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What is freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.