When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 14 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
As a key member of the in-country management team, you will work closely with the General Manager and local teams, as well as with Regional Marketing and Central teams (ie. Performance Marketing, Business Intelligence) to design marketing plans that achieve aligned commercial objectives.
You will build and lead a high-performing team tasked with having a strong, data-driven understanding of the country’s overall business objectives, in-market nuances, and a deep understanding of priority customer segments. You and your team will leverage these insights to effectively partner with central teams and influence the global and regional growth strategy. As such, you are responsible for ensuring that implementation of central channels reflects your latest local commercial priorities, competitive landscape and customer insights. Critically, you are also accountable for expert localisation of the regional marketing strategy and delivering on-the-ground execution of the highest standard. Overall, you will drive demand generation campaigns and leverage the broader company ecosystem to engage existing customers and drive weekly active customers. Throughout, you will adopt a test-and-learn approach to continuously enhance executional impact and efficiency. You will also seek innovative opportunities to drive positive commercial impact and create “cut-through” in your channels.
- Build and lead a high-performing local marketing team, nurture talent, recognise strengths and development opportunities, and ensure the right pathways to growth
- Optimize team structure and ways of working to run marketing efficiently and effectively
- Localise and execute the regional marketing strategy, working closely with Regional Marketing, country management and central teams to hit commercial targets
- Ensure a deep understanding of the local market proposition to enhance regional and global marketing strategy, creative and comms and run impactful marketing activities at a country level
- Deliver integrated, 360-degree marketing campaigns through the management of local marketing budget, implementing global frameworks locally, engaging Regional Marketing and central teams on the most efficient activities to fuel growth across channels
- Monitor and share business growth indicators, recognising trends, troubleshooting issues and proactively identifying opportunities to accelerate growth
- Embrace test-and-learn to demonstrate incrementally and ROI of marketing spend
- Share learnings, best practice and campaign results to constantly raise the bar across the organisation to deliver best-in-class marketing
- Think innovatively to find solutions to overcome growth-limiting challenges. Champion the customer, whilst working collaboratively and cross-functionally with local country management (commercial, ops, DFB) and HQ teams (Growth, Product, BI, Comms)
- Extensive experience in online and offline marketing, with proven ability to successfully develop and execute major multi-channel (360 degree), customer-centric campaigns
- B2C marketing expertise required
- Fluent in all aspects of the marketing mix - including brand, media buying, print production and graphic design, social media, content marketing, events and sponsorships
- Proven ability to successfully develop and execute major multi-channel marketing campaigns and experience localising global campaigns/initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results, from planning through to implementation
- Ability to communicate and influence at all levels within the organisation
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to prepare high standard written reports
- Evidence of ability to plan at a strategic level and drill down to executional detail
- Demonstrated experience developing written marketing plans, evangelizing ideas across a company, executing plans by leading cross-functional teams, and reporting detailed results and learnings.
- Superb analytical skills; demonstrated success using data to make decisions that deliver results. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent influencing skills, with the ability to drive alignment amongst multiple stakeholders for solutions to complex, multi-faceted problems
- Ability to communicate in English
- Enthusiasm for or experience with large consumer marketplace businesses
- Passion for changing the future of food
- Good sense of humour. A leader who makes all team environments better.
- Willingness to travel (~15-30% of the time - across the local market and to HQ)
- Experience at a top-performing retail/eComm/tech/FMCG company preferred
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.