Job Title: Head of Rider Growth
Location: Cannon Street, London
Closing Date: 8th April 2020
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
As the Head of Rider Growth you will lead our rider lifecycle strategy end-to-end. You will develop an in-depth understanding of our riders’ preferences and motivations and use this to design and deliver a compelling and competitive rider value proposition. You will use these insights to segment our riders and define our strategy for engaging riders across the entire lifecycle. This will be done with the objective of hitting our rider supply hours requirement to service our order volume growth in every city we operate in the most efficient way possible. You will work closely with a marketing counterpart to execute on these rider growth objectives by trading off between different marketing channels and optimizing our spend on each.
We are looking for a true all-star, a leader who is able to set strategy, structure and manage a team but also an executor, who can get into the details to identify future opportunities.
You will be skilled at navigating a matrixed organization and be able to achieve alignment across multiple stakeholders (marketing, local operations teams and business intelligence) to drive toward a common objective.
Rider understanding and segmentation
- Work with rider insights and research to build in-depth understanding of our riders’ preferences and motivations
- Segment riders according to various factors
- Ensure these insights and segmentations are reflected in our proposition, rider comms, rider acquisition and lifecycle marketing.
- Benchmark the strength of our rider proposition vs riders’ expectations and vs competitors
- Define our rider proposition strategy, including defining on which dimensions we will differentiate vs competition and how we will differentiate between rider segments
- Create a roadmap for realising our rider proposition strategy, through a combination of quick-wins and more radical changes
Rider supply planning
- Work with both ops and marketing counter-parts to develop a framework for trading-off different levers for filling our rider supply needs - new rider onboards, more hours from existing riders, or increasing net reactivated riders
- Test and scale new marketing channels to improve the effectiveness of our acquisition efforts (e.g. offline marketing, radio, information sessions, referrals etc)
- Define our strategy for engaging riders across the entire lifecycle - from acquiring new riders to maximising their value through driving “good behaviours” and driving retention.
- Ensure that, where appropriate, this strategy is tailored by market and/or by rider segments
Budgeting and performance
- Manage the budgeting process for rmCPO as a whole
- Set targets for rider marketing teams
- Track performance vs budget and targets
- Strategic Thinking: be able to develop a vision for rider marketing and get the buy-in from partner teams on executing against this vision
- Team Development: we are looking for a strong leader who can set direction and help prioritize work in a fast moving and ambiguous environment. You will be able to manage and mentor your team and invest heavily in their development and progression
- Cross-Functional Stakeholder Management: You will need excellent collaboration and communication skills - building deep, trust based relationships with local markets and global teams across several functions
- Ability to deep-dive to drive insights: Experience with quantitative data analysis and identifying actionable insights
Life at Deliveroo
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.