Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 110 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in Oakland, Charlotte, Los Angeles and London.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
The Platform Infrastructure organization consists of teams specializing in container orchestration and microservices management, cloud architecture, relational databases, observability systems, network engineering, and infrastructure services. It is dedicated to providing reliable, scalable, and secure production and test environments across multiple US regions and internationally. The organization also develops tooling and automation to enhance the velocity and experience for our developers.
This role blends platform architecture, software development, and technical leadership with an operational mindset and deep understanding of what makes production systems reliable. A successful candidate for this role will have skills required to work with large-scale production systems in a cloud-centric environment.
What you'll do:
- Tech Leadership
- Set the technical strategy for our platform infrastructure across all areas
- Provide guidance to the most senior levels of our engineering management
- Collaborate and mentor the tech leads from each of our infrastructure teams
- Report directly to the Head of Platform Infrastructure
- Interface with the tech leadership of our primary Cloud and SaaS Service providers, and with our business partners to develop optimal solutions
- Design and develop a highly scalable infrastructure across multiple regions utilizing Google Cloud Platform services and Kubernetes
- Work with our data team to architect solutions to optimize the management of a petabyte scale data tier
- Improve the observability of our large-scale distributed systems through tracing, metrics, and logging
- Work closely with our security team to ensure security excellence
- Develop tooling and best practices to improve the velocity of our platform users
- Technologies we use
- Google Cloud Platform - GKE, PubSub, GCS, Spanner, GAR, CloudSQL, BigQuery, IAM, VPC
- IaC - Terraform, Helm, Flux
- Infra Services - Kafka, MySQL, Consul, Vault
- Observability - Splunk, New Relic, Telegraph
- Coding Languages - Python, Go, Scala, Typescript
Perks of the role:
- As a Senior/Staff Engineer, you will be collaborating across our 800+ person engineering organization to improve and evolve systems that are used by the entire company
- You will have the opportunity to contribute greatly to an extremely engineering-focused organization
- Your contributions will have a noticeable impact on our members as well as your fellow Karmanauts (that's what we call ourselves)
- You will be involved in organizational efforts of continuous improvement to increase and ensure the reliability of Credit Karma
- You will get broad exposure to our full stack in both the infrastructure and application development areas
- You will grow and learn and have fun doing it -- that's part of our culture
What we expect:
- 7+ years of experience as an engineer
- Experience working with production systems, and an understanding of what makes them resilient, scalable, and maintainable
- Experience building and deploying large-scale distributed systems using cloud managed services
- Experience coding in languages such as Python, Go, Typescript, Scala, Ruby
- Strong background designing applications and systems, and documenting them in clear technical documents
- Hands-on experience running services in Kubernetes, and managing Kubernetes clusters
- Experience managing a petabyte scale data tier
- Experience managing observability systems to provide logging, metrics, and tracing best practices
- Familiarity with and strong beliefs about information security principles and best practices in virtual environments.
Benefits at Credit Karma includes:
- Medical and Dental Coverage
- Retirement Plan
- Commuter Benefits
- Wellness perks
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick, Baby Bonding, Cultural Observance, & More)
- Education Perks
- Paid Gift Week in December
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Credit Karma is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information or other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with applicable fair chance laws.
Credit Karma is also committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment because it is the right thing to do. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
COVID-19 update (US Jobs Only):
Credit Karma believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. We also believe that in order to work toward our mission of helping people make financial progress, people first and foremost need their health. All employees are required to be fully vaccinated (including eligible boosters) against COVID-19 prior to their start date unless otherwise approved for an exception as may be required by law.
Credit Karma is strongly committed to protecting personal data. Please take a look below to review our privacy policies: