Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in Oakland, Charlotte, Los Angeles and London.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
The Data team is responsible for building and maintaining the secure data platform used to power real-time user experiences and transforming data used for feature engineering. You will be working with our PubSub based infrastructure to handle streaming data in production and in our Data Lake. Additionally, you will write high-performance data processing jobs to monitor for personally identifiable information and generate data quality reports for use by our data scientists.
As a Senior Data Engineer you will own and lead our engineering efforts on rapid data ingestion and scalable batch jobs. You will drive key decisions along the way that will influence our entire engineering organization.
What You'll Do:
- Lead critical efforts designing and building our next generation Streaming Data Platform, leveraging PubSub, Finagle, Scala, Dataflow, and Google Cloud Platform.
- Build scalable Dataflow data pipelines leveraging Airflow scheduler/executor framework
- Design our data models for optimal storage and retrieval and to meet machine learning modeling needs.
- Contribute to shared Data Engineering tooling & standards to improve the productivity and quality of output for Data Engineers across the company
- Take an active role in the technical growth of other team members and the processes that support overall team growth
- Lead or participate in code and technical design reviews
- 5+ years of significant professional experience in server-side development written in Scala, Java, Go, or Python
- 5+ years of professional experience developing large-scale, high-volume services using Finagle, Akka, or gRPC to handle petabytes of data
- 5+ years of experience managing data pipelines and infra using Dataflow, Spark, Hadoop, Flink, and Airflow.
- Professional experience across the entire software development process, from development environment, to CI & CD including CircleCi, Jenkins, or TravisCi, to production deployment, product and application performance measurement
- Confident articulating complex technical content to peers and partners across the organization via Technical Design Documents.
- Strong ability to communicate
- Proven ability in mentorship of junior engineers.
- DevOps experience with Google Cloud Platform, AWS, or Azure
- Data quality experience especially using & improving internal tools to automatically detect issues
- Experience with Data Quality tools including Deequ or Apache Griffin
- Experience building Scala based services in a production environment
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Credit Karma is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information or other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with applicable fair chance laws.
Credit Karma is also committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment because it is the right thing to do. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
COVID-19 update (US Jobs Only):
Credit Karma believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. We also believe that in order to work toward our mission of helping people make financial progress, people first and foremost need their health. All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date unless otherwise approved for an exception as may be required by law.
Credit Karma is strongly committed to protecting personal data. Please take a look below to review our privacy policies: