Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in Oakland, Charlotte, Los Angeles and London.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
Credit Karma is looking for a Director of Legal Operations to join our growing Legal team. We’re seeking an experienced leader with strong business insight who has the ability to define and execute on a vision for an outstanding legal operations function. This successful individual will effectively drive and lead change across legal and cross-functionally throughout the company.
What you’ll do:
- Design, manage, and improve internal and cross-functional processes to positively impact the Legal team’s productivity and effectiveness (including workflow management, finances, knowledge management, eDiscovery, and litigation support). Heavy emphasis on process improvement: identify opportunities, share best practices, develop playbooks, train, and improve efficiency. Stay current in legal operations industry trends and advise on needed upgrades and improvements to business processes and tools.
- Showcase your analytical skills by documenting, collecting, analyzing, reporting relevant data and developing appropriate metrics and benchmarking through data analytics to measure the legal team’s performance both within and outside the department.
- Handle the budget for the Legal team, closely partner with our Finance team to drive responsible spending, and make and implement budget recommendations to the Legal leadership team.
- Partner with cross-functional teams such as People Ops, IT, Sales Ops, Procurement, and Finance teams to build on established partnerships, drive strategic company-wide initiatives, and collaborate on projects.
- Organize and manage legal and department institutional knowledge via the creation of a centralized knowledge management repository, and standardizing processes, policies, practices, nomenclature, and templates.
- Facilitate, create, and execute the Legal team’s long-term strategic and operational planning process and follow-on actions. This includes working with the leadership team to align on priorities, create accompanying OKRs, and report on key operational and substantive metrics.
- Create a legal vendor management program, including managing outside counsel educational “summits,” to ensure quality outside counsel support at the right rates and under optimal fee arrangements. Hold regular business reviews with Legal partners. Negotiate fee agreements with legal vendors, including law firms. Drive governance and enforcement of vendor billing guidelines. Use e-billing solutions to carry out guidelines in an automated fashion.
- Build and execute a long-term technology roadmap to drive legal operations effectiveness and efficiencies. This includes technology and processes to address invoice management, legal vendor management, compliance management, litigation, knowledge management, and anything else to help us build for scale.
- Partner with the Chief Legal Officer to manage organizational planning for the department, including supporting efforts related to recruiting, onboarding, training, and retention of department personnel.
Minimum Basic Requirements:
- 6-8 years in an operations management role, with at least 3+ years in a senior or leading legal operations role.
- 2+ years of experience with legal budget management and reporting.
- 2+ years of experience managing legal vendors, including demonstrable experience with designing, negotiating and evaluating alternative fee arrangements, and proven communication experience with partner-level outside counsel attorneys and pricing directors of law firms.
- Experience building strong relationships with senior leadership.
- Deep working knowledge and hands-on experience with legal technology tools and applications.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and execute on large-scale projects (such as global onboarding programs) - delivering results on time and within budget.
- A proven ability to use data and data-driven methods to drive better decision making.
- Experience developing strategic or departmental planning materials requiring consensus gathering from multiple constituents and have strong business partnering skills.
- A strong ability as a natural problem solver and strategic thinker. You’re comfortable with changing priorities and ambiguity and able to bring structure to chaos. You effectively identify and articulate implications up and downstream, taking action or escalating as appropriate.
- High integrity, humility, a healthy sense of humor, and a how-can-I-help, get-it-done demeanor.
- Hands on experience with Jira and legal software solutions (i.e. contract lifecycle management, legal matter management/e-billing, workflow automation, knowledge management).
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with applicable fair chance or similar ordinances.
COVID-19 update: Protecting the health of our employees and the candidates interested in a career at Credit Karma is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process.
Credit Karma is strongly committed to protecting personal data. Please take a look below to review our privacy policies: