Cloud Chamber is looking for an inspired and collaborative Systems Designer to join our team and help shape the world of BioShock. You have a well-developed sense of how game systems connect and enhance one another in an emergent sandbox world, and understand the player-facing signs and feedback that are required for an intuitive player experience. We appreciate designers with keen interest in the ways in which player tools complement one another, interact with the game’s larger ecology, and can be leveraged to reward player experimentation and mastery. Your first inclination is to say “yes” to the player whenever possible.
Under the supervision of the Lead Systems Designer, the Systems Designer will be responsible for working on assigned tasks developing and refining game mechanics.
- Create and fine-tune gameplay mechanics and moment to moment systemic experiences.
- Key areas of the systems domain include interactive objects and world simulation.
- Work with the Leads, Design Director, and the design team to pitch and develop gameplay systems and implement the vision for the game.
- Communicate progress, workflows, and availability of systems to content developers.
- Maintain and tune assigned systems through to project completion.
- Create detailed and easy to follow design documentation.
- Collaborate across development sites in Novato and Montreal on a day-to-day basis.
- Expand and build on the ideas of player expression and emergent design experiences.
- Use your creativity to complete design goals and solve design challenges that push our games forward.
- Participate in brainstorm sessions, refine, and complete ideas within a schedule.
- Collaborate with cross disciplinary teams to complete design implementation and problem solving.
Skills, Experience et Qualifications:
- Experience with AAA projects as a systems designer.
- 3+ years professional experience in video game design.
- Unreal engine experience preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high degree of self-direction.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, multi-site team setting.
- Open to feedback and creative or production constraints.
- Deep understanding of systemic game design, interactive narrative, and immersive first-person techniques.
- Extensive and current knowledge of the gaming industry development landscape, technology and tools.
- Excellent communications skills: verbal, written and visual.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage competing priorities.
- Collaborative, compassionate, and authentic.
- Curious and excited about game design theory and pushing the medium forward.
- And of course, we're looking for someone who knows, loves and plays games.
We are Cloud Chamber: a collaborative team of inspired minds who create games together. We strive to make unique, entertaining, and thoughtful game experiences that engage the world.
We believe in the beauty and strength of diversity, in both the makeup of the studio and the nature of our thinking. Our focus on open communication and overall well-being allows each of us to strive for excellence in our work, and happiness in our lives.
We’re currently making the next BioShock. Our love for this iconic franchise is what brought us together. The thrill and responsibility of creating the next iteration of such a beloved game is what keeps us going.
If all of this sounds as exciting to you as it is to us we’d love to meet you. Join us in creating worlds that move people.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never use instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews. When emailing prospective employees we only use 2K.com accounts.
This is a fully remote role that may be based anywhere in the United States. Below are the expected salary and wage ranges for applicants based in locations where the pay transparency law is in effect:
Colorado: $55,000 and $100,000 per year
California: $70,000 and $125,000 per year
New York State (inclusive of New York City): $70,000 and $125,000 per year
Washington: $55,000 and $100,000 per year
Base pay offered is based on market location, and may vary further depending on individualized factors for job candidates, such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations. Subject to those same considerations, the total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus and/or equity awards and eligibility to participate in our 401(K) plan, in addition to a full range of medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance. Employees will also receive 14 paid holidays per calendar year, are eligible to earn a minimum of 15 days of vacation leave per year (subject to proration based on start date during the calendar year) and will receive 10 sick days per calendar year. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an "at-will position" and the company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation or benefit program) at any time, 4 including for reasons related to individual performance, company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.