Who Are We?
Brooke Charter Schools is a network of four public charter schools serving grades K-12 in Mattapan, Roslindale, and East Boston. At Brooke, we coach and invest in our teachers so that they can help our students shatter the achievement gap and graduate from college. Our students thrive because they are challenged and known.
What is the School Nurse Role?
- Supervise school procedures for dispensing student medication as needed and according to federal, state, local, and school guidelines
- Conduct medical screenings as required by law, including, but not necessarily limited to, hearing, vision, teeth, growth, weight, and scoliosis screenings
- Treating students who have been referred to the nurse’s office and maintain a daily nursing log of students seen for any medical reason
- Assist with first aid procedures for medical emergencies at our school
- Maintain medication supply for each student and provide for daily administration of medication including for students on psychotropic medication requiring special administration
- Maintain contact with prescribing doctors and with parents / guardians to insure correct prescriptions are followed
- Maintain, track, and update all required student medical records, including appropriate written data covering all medical needs and services provided to our students
- Maintain and update health administration database
- Insure classroom teachers have protective first aid equipment and access to health supplies needed for routine classroom mishaps
- Communicate with families regarding matters regarding student health and student medical records
- Promote and assist in the control of communicable diseases through prevention, early detection, surveillance, and reporting of contagious diseases to the appropriate local health authority
- Assist in the formulation of health policies, goals and objectives for the Brooke Schools
- Assist in assessing potential abuse and neglect issues, and contribute to IEP development where medical issues, alerts are involved
- Counsel students on sexual health and nutrition as needed
- Contribute to the creation of advisory lessons related to healthy relationships, sexual health, drug abuse and nutrition.
- Other such duties as the Director of Operations may from time to time request commensurate with the employee’s position
Is This You?
- You hold an RN license and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- You believe that great teaching closes the achievement gap and have an unwavering belief in our students' capabilities
- You are professional, warm, and emotionally composed with students, families, and colleagues
- You are a team player with strong organizational skills who craves feedback and opportunities for growth
- Proficient in Google Suite and Microsoft Office (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel)
- Spanish speaking required
Salaries for this role are commensurate with experience and start at $66k.
The community and students we serve are diverse, and we are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. We strive to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience to prepare our students for a future reflective of the world we live in.