Who Are We?
Brooke Charter Schools is a network of five public charter schools serving grades K-12 in Mattapan, Roslindale, and East Boston. At Brooke, we coach and invest in our teachers so that they can help our students shatter the achievement gap and graduate from college. Our students thrive because they are challenged and known.
What is the Director of Operations Role?
The role of Director of Operations is a crucial leadership position within the Brooke model. Directors of Operations work collaboratively with the Director of Network Operations and other Directors of Operations, but report directly to the Principal and take ownership of all non-academic areas of school-based administration. Brooke is committed to the belief that great teaching closes the achievement gap. We also believe that the extent to which we have operational greatness has a significant impact on the extent to which we will have great teaching. Directors of Operations who successfully embody this value will ensure that all instructional staff, including the school principal, can focus their energies entirely on instruction.
This role is a year-round position with responsibilities that include:
- Development and implementation of school-wide policies and procedures related to non-instructional functions of the school
- Manage the school budget in partnership with the Principal and Network Finance Director, and conduct monthly budget meetings with instructional staff to inform purchasing
- Coordinate all school-based procurement
- Manage all aspects of facility and grounds use, upkeep, and renovation including addressing staff needs and facility work requests
- Manage IT vendor relationship to ensure staff have IT needs met
- Oversee arrival, dismissal, lunch and recess duty assignment and coverage and well as develop/maintain systems for the smooth functioning of each
Family & Student Services
- Direct student transportation services for the school: collaborate with Boston Public Schools on all busing issues, ensure smooth and regular operation of buses, and coordinate all transportation needs for field trips and other special events
- Coordinate the food service program for the school: ensure that services offered comply with school nutrition guidelines, oversee school-wide snack program, manage reimbursement reporting, manage food service vendor relationship, and manage proper compliance with federal policies
- Direct student recruitment, enrollment, and orientation for the school
- Oversee student attendance tracking and, when needed, support the development of attendance plans to address truancy or tardiness issues
- Coordinate after school programs and extracurricular activities
- Oversee all family engagement efforts including Parent Involvement Council meetings (PIC)
- Manage testing operations to ensure for smooth implementation of internal and state assessments
- Coordinate school-wide events (i.e.- fundraisers, picture day, etc.)
- Manage multiple direct reports (facilities manager, office manager, nurse, other office staff) to develop a operations team aligned to support the instructional needs of students and teachers
- Develop ongoing plans to provide for the professional development of direct reports
Community Relationship Management
- Manage neighborhood relationships including neighborhood associations, local politicians, and community organizations
- Collaborate with staff, community members, and families to create a culturally inclusive and respectful school environment
- Manage and carry out required state reporting and compliance duties including overseeing the tracking and communication of educator qualification requirements to school staff.
- Any and all-other non-academic domains
Is This You?
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following qualifications and characteristics:
- 3 years experience in school, non-profit, or business setting
- Teaching experience is preferred but not required
- Experience managing direct reports preferred
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- A shared dedication to the Brooke philosophy and mission
- Self-motivated, high energy, and ability to work independently when necessary
- Collaborative team player who is willing to go above and beyond the job description for the success of BCS teachers and students
- Spanish language skills a plus
The community and students we serve are diverse, and we are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. We strive to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience to prepare our students for a future reflective of the world we live in.