ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
The global communications flock is all about working collaboratively and creatively to deliver for patients and pave the way for sustainable access to cell and gene therapies. Whether it’s making sure bluebird is an active partner with, and educator of, external stakeholders on the science, understanding of the diseases we aim to treat, the systemic recoding of market and effectively communicating the value and benefits of our novel LVV gene therapy platform, we are driven by helping to create a purpose-driven organization. Come work with a dedicated, expert group of birds that loves rising to the challenge much as we do!
HOW YOU’LL FLY
Responsible for leading bluebird’s overall communications strategy including: a) coordinating and implementing enterprise-wide priorities; b) leading and managing a collaborative platform-wide process that creates, integrates and guides strategic communications and messaging; c) promoting and protecting bluebird’s brand through visibility and advocacy for our gene therapy work and the patients we serve.
- Gain a deep understanding of and inform bluebird’s strategy and plans. Develop and execute an integrated corporate communications strategy that is informed by multiple perspectives, both across the organization and with key external stakeholders.
- Design and build the bluebird communications function, in collaboration with existing team members to be a diverse, high performing group.
- Partner with our enthusiastic team to direct the reputational activities that reflect bluebird’s identity as we transition to a fully integrated company, from research through commercial.
- In addition to the broad corporate messaging mandate, direct responsibilities include, but are not limited to, internal and external communications, public and media relations and issue-driven communications planning.
- Mentor, develop, and expand your group and provide opportunities for growth.
- Provide oversight on all global communications issues and coordinate with other departments to position and strengthen bluebird’s positive image and overall credibility.
- Identify and improve upon effective communication methods and vehicles to close gaps in messaging, while broadening message delivery to new and existing constituents nationally and globally.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Strong track record in global corporate communications with a minimum of 5 years’ experience leading a Communications function in a public biotech/pharmaceutical company or highly regulated industry or 10 years as a Director/Senior Director role within a public pharma/bio communications department.
- High energy, maturity, and inspiring leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to connect and build relationships across all levels and functions in a matrixed, collaborative environment.
- Strategic, creative, and innovative thinker – willing to take risks and explore new ways and approaches to achieve bluebird’s overall goals.
- Excellent manager with a strong desire to learn and grow individually and mentor/develop others across our team.
- Working knowledge of FDA and EMA regulations, pricing and reimbursement in US and Europe, and public policy.
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.