ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
The Process Sciences & Innovation flock is all about working collaboratively to get sh*t done! Together we are developing and characterizing our processes to manufacture high quality stem cells in an innovative and scalable way for our patients. We develop the gene therapy manufacturing platform and chaperone it from pre-clinical to commercial manufacturing phases in collaboration with other teams across Technical, Development and Operations, Research and Clinical. One major aspect of these responsibilities includes leading projects to support our late-stage products at the interface of hands-on process science, regulatory, quality, and manufacturing. We are looking for a motivated individual to work with cross-functional partners to guide the design, execution, and implementation of these types of projects. With one approved product (Zynteglo™) and multiple clinical stage candidates, there is a wealth of growth opportunities for driven individuals to make a significant impact in patients’ lives. Come join our incredibly talented team of birds and learn more about how you can drive scientific advancements that ultimately serve patients with gene-modified stem cell products.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As a Process Sciences & Innovations bird reporting to Senior Scientist, Process Sciences & Innovation, you’ll help bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Independently managing and executing on key cellular process development workstreams and keeping stakeholders informed of timelines and progress.
- Developing experimental plans, authoring protocols, reports, and presentations, interpreting scientific results, and proposing next steps.
- Collaborating frequently with members of our partner groups, including CMC, research, analytical development, manufacturing, and quality to support program goals.
- Designing and performing experiments involving the isolation, transduction, and cryopreservation of gene modified hematopoietic stem cells for the treatment for hematological malignancies.
- Driving a culture of quality through documentation, processes, and systems.
- Applying quality by design (QbD) principles to develop and improve cell therapy manufacturing processes.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Have a BS with 8+ years of directly related experience or MS with 5+ years of directly related experience, or PhD with 0+ years of experience in cellular process development or manufacturing. Degree emphasis in Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Biology, or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate across organizational levels and disciplines, with excellent communication and inter-personal skills is required.
- Expertise in aseptic tissue/cell culture is required. Experience with the culturing of primary human hematopoietic stem cells is preferred.
- Expertise in using a laboratory notebook and familiarity with good documentation practices (GDP) is required.
- Excellent attention to detail is required.
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.