ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
Our Molecular & Vector Biology group designs and develops lentiviral vectors that are the foundation of bluebird's novel gene therapies. If you are someone with a passion for getting under the hood of gene therapy, then this is the place for you. Collaboration is central to our everyday function because we understand that a viral vector is just the beginning of the process of creating transformative therapies. We work closely with all of Research teams to grow innovative ideas into exciting new programs. Join our enthusiastic and collaborative team to explore creative new ways of designing, engineering, producing, and testing the next generation of gene therapy.
HOW YOU'LL FLY
As a Associate Director/Senior Scientist in Molecular and Vector Bio, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Driving world class science in a matrixed environment
- Having a passion for leading teams and developing junior scientists with a commitment to bringing out the best in your people
- Building strong cross functional partnerships throughout the organization
- Using a broad knowledge of gene therapy vectors to enable a new level of innovation
- Bringing knowledge of transcriptional regulation to the development of novel gene therapy strategies, including transcriptional and epigenetic profiling
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- PhD in biological sciences with 8+ years post-doctoral experience, including at least 3 years of industry experience
- Would consider a Senior Scientist with PhD with 5+ years postdoctoral experience
- Proven ability to successfully manage scientists and associate scientists
- Proficiency with vector design and production (AAV, adenovirus, LVV, or non-viral); familiarity with LVV is a plus
- Deep understanding of transcriptional regulation, with particular emphasis on epigenetics
- Experience testing gene therapy technologies in preclinical rodent models
- Extensive familiarity with molecular biology techniques and other molecular assays such as flow cytometry, ELISA, qPCR, IHC, and gene expression analysis
- Knowledge of NGS-based methods for gene expression and epigenetic analyses is a plus
- Ability to work in a team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize and balance work from multiple sources
- Should be self-motivated, detail oriented, flexible, and have a “do-what-it-takes” attitude with excellent organizational and communication skills
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.