ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
The Scientific Communications flock is a dynamic, collaborative, scientifically driven culture where the successful individual will have broad opportunities to be involved cross-functionally and grow rapidly as the organization evolves. Being able to flex, having comfort with ambiguity and possessing a combination of strong strategic thinking while also having the willingness to execute on a tactical level will help to lead and blaze new pathways in bringing innovative therapies to patients
The Associate Director, Scientific Communications, β-thalassemia (TDT), will serve as the global Scientific Communications lead on the TDT program. With a planned US filing in 2021 and marketing in the EU for bluebird bio’s betibeglogene autotemcel (beti-cel, LentiGlobin for TDT) gene therapy, the Scientific Communications lead will be an integral part of launch planning and lifecycle management Medical Affairs and brand activities.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As a Sci Comm bird reporting to our Director of Scientific Communication & Education, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Continuing the development and execution of a comprehensive, strategic, global/US, scientific communications plan for TDT
- Collaborating with internal stakeholders and external authors on the development of high-visibility scientific abstracts, posters, presentations, and manuscripts to share ground-breaking new TDT clinical, real-world evidence, and health outcomes research data
- Developing high-quality scientific communications and medical education materials, including internal training decks, external slide libraries, medical FAQs, and content development for symposia
- Collaborating with members of the Medical Affairs team to develop the annual Medical Strategic and Tactical Plan for TDT
- Collaborating with cross-functional partners to ensure alignment of scientific communication activities with broader brand plans
- Serving as the TDT Scientific Communications representative at various forums, including Medical Strategy Team, Communications Team, Program Team, etc.
- Partnering with the TDT Medical Affairs team on the refinement and execution of a comprehensive medical launch plan for TDT
- Partnering with the European Scientific Communications lead on the planning and execution of EU-specific Scientific Communications deliverables
- Leading the TDT medical congress strategy, including booth content, symposia planning, and pre-congress training, and ensure integration of gene therapy education
- Partnering with the medical directors on organizing and developing content for scientific advisory boards
- Leading regular external publication steering committee and internal publication team meetings to align the TDT publication strategy with study investigators and internal stakeholders
- Leading a growing TDT scientific communications team
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant guidelines, laws, and industry standard best practices
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you:
- Doctorate degree (PharmD, MD, PhD) in biological sciences
- 4+ years of experience in a biotechnology/pharmaceutical environment required
- Medical communications and publications planning experience required
- Prior launch experience and experience in rare diseases desirable
- Experience managing direct reports preferred
- Ability to write/edit scientific articles, posters, and abstracts with a medically strategic mindset
- Excellent communications and project management skills; proven ability to effectively collaborate and influence decision-making across multiple levels of an organization
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and communicate data effectively
- Independently motivated, detail oriented, and good problem-solving ability
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.