ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
In addition to innovative science, industry leading infrastructure, and seasoned experience in developing gene therapies, bluebird bio is also a company that values its rich employee culture and supports a healthy work/life balance. When the gene editing department is not busy engineering a nuclease to find a 30 base pair region of a 3 billion base pair genome, blasting cells with electricity to drive nucleic acids across cellular membranes, and precisely altering the physiology of cells in vivo to restore or achieve new capabilities, you will find us spending time with our families, enjoying the outdoors, or learning to curl with our coworkers. If you are looking to do cutting-edge science in a fun and collaborative environment, apply for our job!
HOW YOU’LL FLY
In this role, you will lead bluebird bio’s gene editing department “core team”, which is focused on developing highly potent and specific megaTAL gene editing reagents through advanced protein engineering techniques, as well as developing robust genomics approaches to characterize their activity in cells. We are applying our gene editing reagents in ex-vivo cell-based CAR/TCR cancer immunotherapy programs in close collaboration with the oncology research department, and directly in-vivo for rare diseases such as hemophilia A in collaboration with our pre-clinical and translational development colleagues. We are seeking a scientifically creative and skilled leader with a passion for mentoring. The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience in protein engineering approaches, including library design and construction, yeast and mammalian screening approaches, and next-generation sequencing.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
- Lead a team of several talented scientists and associate scientists to achieve scientific goals (including delivery of high-quality megaTALs for priority projects and advancing the underlying engineering platform) and actively manage direct and indirect reports career development.
- Advance multiple high-throughput protein engineering projects for priority programs to meet deadlines and deliverables.
- Conceive and develop new tools for improving our endonuclease screening platform.
- Oversee and advance genomics platform for assessing the specificity of megaTAL reagents.
- Collaborate with multiple teams including those working in different therapeutic areas to update progress and coordinate activities, as well as data scientists in Cambridge and Seattle to develop new library design and screening approaches.
- Vocal leader with a willingness and ability to question existing scientific approaches.
- Strong presentation skills for internal and external audiences.
- Participation in and leadership of gene editing department-level strategy and ability to work in matrixed environment with Oncology and pre-clinical research departments.
- PhD in Bioengineering, Cell biology, Molecular Biology or a related discipline with 5+ years industry experience. Post-doctoral experience welcome but not required.
- Strong background with standard laboratory methods, including: flow cytometry; yeast and bacterial molecular biology and cloning; mammalian cell culture.
- Thorough understanding of protein engineering approaches, with preferred experience in yeast surface display, library design and construction, molecular structure visualization, and deep mutational scanning.
- Familiarity with high-throughput screening and data analysis, such as mammalian cell screens and NGS analysis.
- Experience managing a team of reports, with a focus on steering toward long-term project goals and crafting vision for new directions.
- Able to think creatively and independently and adapt to a fast paced and always changing work environment
- Excellent communications skills and ability to manage projects with internal and external collaborators
- Very organized and diligent in experimental design, execution, and reporting
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.