ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
The Oncology Research flock is all about kicking cancer’s ass! Whether it’s making sure we provide best-in-class CAR-T therapy, transforming the field of immuno-oncology, or continuing to find ways to iterate and improve our therapies, we are driven by a personal and passionate commitment to changing the lives of patients. Come work with a tenacious group of birds that loves rising to the challenge as much as we love sharing data, cheering each other on, and championing our science!
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As the Head of Cellular and Applied Immunology reporting to the SVP Oncology Research, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by refining and implementing bluebird bio’s vision and program expansion of novel cellular immunotherapy products. The scope of this initiative is expansive and will encompass cellular and applied immunology to enable a pipeline of innovative cell-based oncology products. Our goal is to engineer cells of the immune system using our extensive synthetic biology platforms to generate therapeutic cells with potent anti-tumor properties. Candidates will provide a sophisticated level of coordination with bluebird’s core functions by leading a multi-disciplinary oncology research team.
- Lead and continue to build upon a gifted team of scientific and technical professionals to engineer immune cells with properties that mediate anti-cancer activity with the goal of bringing these transformative cell therapy products to patients in need
- Contribute across all stages of research and development, from target identification through development stages and filings, to translational studies and correlative analysis on clinical samples to inform next-generation clinical opportunities
- Leverage a deep understanding of cellular immunology to drive the functional characterization of engineered T cell products toward and through critical program stage-gates
- Drive the exploration and implementation of transformative research-scale process development innovations
- Create improved understanding of our products through correlative study planning, data analytics, and hypothesis testing to best inform clinical development, mechanisms of response/relapse/resistance, and novel product strategies
- Contribute with a strong voice to help define and drive the strategic direction of research within the company’s oncology business unit
- Establish and leverage robust cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders across and beyond research in support of program goals
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- PhD or MD in cancer biology or immunology with at least 12 years of post-doctoral experience in the field of cellular immunology and at least 8+ years of management experience at a biotech company
- Convert a thorough understanding of T cell biology to successful cellular therapy product concepts for treating hematologic and solid tumors
- Have a detailed knowledge of the structure/function of tumor targeting receptors such as T cell receptors (TCR) and chimeric antigen receptors (CAR) and maintain familiarity with current literature.
- Possess a thorough understanding of correlative sciences and a proven history of translating clinical readouts to an improved understanding of cell therapy products
- Have a demonstrated track record of contributing to the progression of early research and development to clinical proof of concept in the field of immunology/immunotherapy
- Be an experienced mentor and builder of high performing teams, especially within a highly matrixed environment
- Demonstrate strong leadership, personal accountability and interpersonal skills, and strong mentoring skills.
- Possess a strong track record of building a pipeline of early stage assets with demonstrated capability for driving programs through to IND filings
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.