We are a brand new EdTech startup backed by the British Council and Blenheim Chalcot, the UK's leading digital venture builder. Our core offering is a free mobile English test that will help millions of people to unlock the potential that the English language gives them. (By 2020, two billion people will be using or learning English. That’s one in four people around the world!)
We are a small and dynamic team excited to positively impact the lives of millions of people by disrupting the English language assessment industry.
Our team is mostly based in the UK. This role requires you to work in the UK, and be in our London office from time to time, but can be a remote and flexible role.
WHO ARE YOU?
First and foremost, you’re a Python developer. You’ve worked on services with large user bases, providing APIs that are consumed by mobile apps. You’ve made mistakes but you’ve learned from them. Data, security, and performance are all in your blood, but you also know that collaboration and teamwork is essential. You'll be at a mid or senior level of experience.
You’ve worked with others using some of the best industry practices around agile development, and know how to extract requirements from stakeholders to ensure that any testing is focussed on the relevant business needs.
We are looking to make big waves in this industry and we want talented, interesting people to join us on the journey.
We are looking for a Python engineer with experience of running multiple different systems in production for real users. You’ll work with our Product Owner, mobile development team, and other backend developers to build and improve our apps, websites and systems. These include our iOS, Android and web based version of our English Score test, our B2B dashboard, and our internal tools.
Day to day your core focus will be to ensure that our API infrastructure is reliable and growing to meet our business needs. This means you must:
- Be fluent in Python, Flask, Sqlalchemy and Postgres
- Be able to effectively design APIs and database / object schemas
- Know how to strike the right balance between pragmatic agile iterative development and longer term investment to manage technical debt.
- Have experienced, and know how to successfully manage CI/CD including deployments to production that involve database schema updates without scheduled downtime.
- Have the ability to take ownership of issues - to analyse and identify problems not faced before.
There’s a few other skills that would be useful but not essential to have, including:
- Experience with AWS IAM and AWS SSO
- Production use of AWS Lambda
- Architecting and implementing with GDPR / privacy by design and implementing appropriate security requirements
- Knowledge of DNS and CDNs such as Fastly
And to do this well at EnglishScore, we expect you’ll have experience of many of the following:
- AWS and/or Heroku
- Using APM or similar tooling to enable prioritisation of performance and defects
- Working on products for international audiences
- Using analytics to guide and refine priorities
- Collaborating with Product Owners, UX teams, and other stakeholders
Our technological stack is very modern. iOS is authored in Swift, Android in Kotlin, and our backend is written in Python. Our infrastructure is running on Heroku, and our pipeline is heavily automated through Travis. We are at a sufficiently early stage that nothing is set in stone, so you’ll be able to make a case for using any technology you think would help us reach our goals more effectively.
Like all the other tech startups on the planet, we think that machine learning is going to play a fundamental part in our future. We generate a lot of data, so data science is something we dedicate a lot of time to.
- Remote or office based role
- Flexible hours
- MacBook Pro or machine of choice
- A fair salary and discretionary bonus
- 25 days of paid holidays
- Life assurance of 4 times your annual salary
- Pension scheme
- A cycle-to-work scheme
- Childcare vouchers