We are a brand new EdTech startup backed by the British Council and Blenheim Chalcot, the UK's leading digital venture builder. Our core offering is a free mobile English test that will help millions of people to unlock the potential that the English language gives them. (By 2020, two billion people will be using or learning English. That’s one in four people around the world!)
We are a small and dynamic team excited to positively impact the lives of millions of people by disrupting the English language assessment industry.
Our team is mostly based in the UK, but we do not require you to be in the UK. However, to ensure we can continue collaborating well, we need you to be within two time zones of the UK.
We are looking for a frontend web developer with at least three years’ experience (commercial or non-commercial) to build and improve our websites and systems. These include the web based version of our English Score test, our marketing websites, and our B2B portal.
Our initial launch was Android-only, and delivers a 40-minute test on grammar, vocabulary, reading, and listening, with the option of purchasing a certificate at the end. We have expanded with a web based test, which has been built with React and our Kotlin code-base. We’ve an ambitious roadmap for the coming year, as we consolidate our core product and expand the features to help more users than ever.
Our technological stack is pretty open right now. iOS is authored in Swift, Android in Kotlin, and our (light and conventional) backend is written in Python. Our infrastructure is running on Heroku. We are early stage enough that nothing is set in stone, so you’ll be able to make a case for using any technology you think would help us reach our goals more effectively.
Machine learning and data science play a major role in our future as we scale to millions of downloads per year.
DAY TO DAY
Your core focus will be to grow the features and quality of our websites and systems. This means you must have:
- The ability to implement features without depending on frameworks
- Experience measuring and optimising performance of web applications
And to do this, we expect you’ll have experience of many of the following:
- The full lifecycle of software including automated testing
- Building products for international audiences
- Integrating with ecommerce and payment providers
- Using analytics tools to capture events from apps, and use that data to guide and refine development
- Collaborating with Product Owners, UX teams, and other stakeholders
- Interacting with a REST API
- Using tools such as Google Tag Manager and Webmaster Tools.
- Remote or office based role
- Flexible hours
- MacBook Pro or machine of choice
- A fair salary and discretionary bonus
- 25 days of paid holidays
- Life assurance of 4 times your annual salary
- Pension scheme
- A cycle-to-work scheme
- Childcare vouchers