Job Title: Head of European Risk
Reporting to: Greg Mrkusic, Director of Decisioning
Based: Glen House, Hammersmith
Liberis is a leading alternative finance provider offering simple, flexible and transparent funding to help small businesses achieve their ambitions.
Established in 2007, in a space where traditional banking and loan models were unable to meet the needs of UK businesses, we provide finance based on business potential, not just credit history. Through our Business Cash Advance, we link repayments directly to cash flow - so businesses only repay us when their customers pay them!
To date Liberis has helped over 11,000 businesses and advanced over £340m in funding. We’re striving to support an estimated 100,000 jobs by 2020, and each and every role at Liberis plays a huge part in supporting this.
What is it like to work for Liberis?
The Liberis family sits across two UK offices and around 130 people – and we’re growing significantly month on month! We have now expanded to the USA, as well as three European countries, with more coming soon.
With our staff at the very heart of what we do, we’re dedicated to fostering a flexible work environment that provides all our employees with equal access to information, development and opportunity. Not to mention our active commitment to mental well-being and employee diversity in the workplace; encouraging applications from all candidates, regardless of gender, race, religion or background.
Earlier this year we were also formally recognised by Great Place To Work as as one of the UK’s Best Medium Workplaces 2018 – achieving 21st place our the 128 top ranked organisations.
You will play a critical role in supporting our UK growth and expansion into other European countries by ensuring that credit losses are well managed while we deliver a high accept rate for our marketing partners and a great application experience and compelling product for the end customer.
- Agree and deliver on credit loss and approval rate goals
- Determine which segments of customers we approve, and what we offer them, by setting both targeting and underwriting policies, taking customer experience into account
- Forecast and track performance of account tranches and segments, understanding current trends, risks and opportunities
- Manage, or be the key customer of, our manual underwriters
- Leverage our Data Science and Analytics teams to have a robust understanding of our product economics and pricing and deliver on your goals
- Act as an analytical leader across the Liberis business, and work closely with colleagues in Marketing, Operations and Finance to ensure that the product meets their needs and can be supported by them.
- Extremely strong understanding of credit risk management in the UK/European Financial Services industry (ideally in SME finance)
- Detailed working knowledge of credit scoring and related data sources and tools. Can work with large data sets, manipulating data, and analyze and interpret data from various sources. Expert data extraction, mining & manipulation skills
- Strong understanding of unit economics and NPVs
- Extremely strong excel and SQL skills required
- Can take a joined-up view of the business and connect previously unrelated facts to identify opportunities
- A persuasive communicator, able to convey complex data in a logical and easy-to-understand style
- A robust and resilient self-starter with a track record of strong commercial delivery
- People management experience required, with the comfort to lead a team as required/we grow or to work hand-on as needed
- The interpersonal skills necessary to sustain effective relationships both internally and externally
- Able to act proactively and with high autonomy, while also being open to challenge/knowing when to ask for
What we offer in return
- Excellent company benefits including pension scheme, health and life insurance and many others
- A great performance-related bonus, and potential for stock options
- Holiday entitlement - 25 days
- Extra 3 days holiday to cover the Christmas period
- Company wellbeing programme – running club, nutritionist sessions, free fruit and healthy snacks, mental health framework, financial wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible working
- Team away days
- Regular company socials