BCI is a multi-asset investment management firm specialising in early stage digitally enabled businesses. BCI then runs a number of Credit Strategies focused on the Alternative Finance and Fintech markets. We have been running Credit Strategies since 2011, focusing on niches where we believe the firm’s unique position supports our ability to deliver market beating risk adjusted returns. Our main fund in the Credit Opportunities Fund, which Lends to Lending business. Our investors are High Net Worths and Family Offices (i.e. Direct Private money vs Institutional) who are engaged and seeking to more proactively access the credit markets. We are managing >£200m of capital within Credit Strategies. The Equity Strategies team then manage a number of equity and co investment vehicles, through which investors can gain access to high-growth venture businesses in a structured manner.
We invest, initially, in smaller deal sizes within the Alternative Finance and Fintech markets with the aim of building long term relationships and rolling our capital into future refinancing deals as the lending businesses scale.
Being part of BCI will provide the individual with deal exposure to a wide range of innovative structures across Specialty Finance as well as some exposure to the Venture Building activities of Blenheim Chalcot. The individual will get exposure to a large volume of deals and the opportunity to build expertise in origination, execution and management of receivables backed debt
Purpose of the role:
We are currently seeking an individual with 2-3 years’ experience in Portfolio Management to join the BCI Credit Opportunities Fund investment team. The individual will be responsible for the on-going management of the existing portfolio. This will include monitoring; extensions; amendments; accordion top ups etc. Given the early stage nature of many of our borrowers this is an active role with high level of customer interaction. We would see this individual being an integral member of the investment team, where the distinction between origination and portfolio management is far closer than it may be in a Bank.
The Credit Opportunities Fund – deploys debt structured and collateralised against the receivable books of innovative lending businesses in the UK and Ireland. BCI can hold either Senior or Mezzanine debt positions, therefore the individual will also be expected to work with the Senior debt providers, where appropriate (usually Banks or larger Credit Funds).
About Blenheim Chalcot:
Blenheim Chalcot (BC) is the UK’s leading digital venture builder. Building tech start-ups that are geared to disrupt and transform sectors. Investing more than just funds, BC provides knowledge, experience, ideas and infrastructure.
The ventures are at the forefront of a multitude of industries covering FinTech, EdTech, Media, Sport, Charity and more. You may have heard of some of our growing businesses such as ClearScore, Agilisys, Instrumental, Hive Learning and the Rajasthan Royals.
The portfolio represents sales of over £300 million, £850 million of assets under management, more than 3,000 employees and a successful track record of over 40 companies. Current portfolio of 20 companies varying in stage from seed to venture to growth, based in offices across London, Nottingham, New York and Mumbai.
We are currently seeking an individual to run Portfolio Management and join the BCI Credit Opportunities Fund investment team. Given the early stage nature of many of our borrowers, this is an active role with a high level of customer interaction.
We make debt investments structured and secured against the receivable books of innovative lending businesses in the UK and Ireland. BCI can hold either Senior or Mezzanine positions, as a result the individual will also be expected to work with the Senior debt providers, usually Banks or larger Credit Funds, where appropriate.
- Ownership of the portfolio management process
- Running and managing the end to end credit process for; annual renewals, refinances and amendments to existing transactions
- Managing the on-going client relationship strategy for the portfolio, including holding at least monthly calls and quarterly meetings, and documenting client meetings with call reports
- Lead discussions on client performance and negotiate key terms of any required amendments
- Lead day to day contact for clients and key contributor to deepening existing relationships
- Leading the monitoring and treasury management process
- Detailed review of all financial and collateral information provided on a monthly basis
- Ownership of the Portfolio Monitoring Process across drawdowns and covenant compliance
- Ownership of the Investment Risk Committee, which includes drafting a portfolio performance report and presenting to committee on a monthly basis
- Ensuring timely receipt of all required information from the portfolio
- Coordinate with treasury management and clients on drawdowns
- Input into new lending decisions
- Review, comment and provide part of the approval process for all new lending opportunities presented to Investment Committee
- Review of transaction documentation and contribute to the ultimate transaction structure
- Ability to apply current performance data to the assumptions used in the investment process and challenge where appropriate
Skills & Experience:
- 2-5 years relevant experience working in a bank (or similar) portfolio
- Strong academic background, ideally with some numerate subjects. University results equivalent to a UK 2:1 or above or international equivalent
- Demonstrable experience of managing a portfolio of complex credit positions, ideally with the specialty and alternative finance market
- You will have proven analytical and business monitoring skills
- You will be comfortable with both leading detailed discussions with clients and presenting your analytical work to Credit Committee and covering any challenges
- You maintain a strong awareness of market and key risk issues, whilst striving for optimal commercial outcomes with clients
- A strong team player used to working in a close knit department, ready for manager level responsibility and able to share knowledge and contribute ideas
- Relationship Skills; ability to cultivate strong working relationship with the portfolio of clients, understand their needs and ensure BCI is best placed as their funding requirements evolve
- Performance analysis: Able to use data and conduct analysis to reach accurate conclusions around performance
- Highly levels of diligence and integrity; ability to review complex performance data and legal documentations to ensure compliance
- Risk Management: Able to make pragmatic decisions and reach sensible conclusions from the information presented, while identify key risks across the portfolio and market
- Communication: Able to articulate complex concepts concisely and ask challenging questions to clients while maintaining a strong relationship
- Collaboration: Able to quickly understand the needs of and integrate into a highly driven and professional working environment
- Delivery: Able to maintain perspective of business goals at all times and manage others to meet business goals especially under pressure
What we can offer you:
- Competitive salary driven by prior experience
- Full benefits package, including Pension, Medical and Life Insurance
- Ability to participate and benefit from the performance of the Fund
- 25 days leave
- The opportunity to learn and grow with an interesting and dynamic environment