Who are you?
You have a passion for technology, a strong work ethic and are curious to try new things. You enjoy playing around with code and are looking for your first job opportunity as a Software Engineer. You want to work somewhere that your work will have real impact, both on products as well as society. You want to learn from top entrepreneurs and grow fast.
What is Blenheim Chalcot?
We build digital businesses that transform industries. As a venture builder, we invest more than just funds; we invest our knowledge and experience, our ideas and our infrastructure. Working alongside entrepreneurs and co-founders, we support our ventures from startup to scale to exit, giving them access to the global networks and services they need to grow.
What will you be doing?
This isn’t your typical software graduate position. You’ll be working with some of the fastest growing and most innovative ventures in the world. Our engineering teams are the cornerstones of our award-winning products, and you’ll be embedded with one of these experts across a variety of sectors including Edtech, Fintech, E-commerce and Media. With over 20 ventures in our portfolio, your role will vary according to the goals of the venture you’re working in.
You’ll develop skills across the entire engineering life cycle, writing code which shapes products that improve people’s wellbeing; whether it’s improving access to language learning, getting people out of financial trouble, or allowing data scientists to rethink modern medicine. You may be instrumental in developing a completely new product, business or industry.
What will you learn?
As well as on-the-job coaching, self-directed learning and mentoring from engineering experts, you’ll also attend a mix of seminars and workshops to accelerate the development of your skills. This will help you to also gain an understanding of data science and strategy; to deliver and support innovative, flexible technology-enabled solutions. A few key things you’ll be doing:
- Work in an agile team supporting the strategic direction of a BC venture on a variety of challenging projects across the end to end development process, all geared to develop cutting-edge digital products and services.
- Learn how to develop solutions in a ‘fail fast and safe’ environment that focuses on transformative innovation.
- Develop business skills so you can apply your solutions and deliver meaningful change in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Work in a start-up environment and see the impact of the work you’re doing. You’ll gain huge exposure into how tech companies are built and be supported while taking ownership of work that really matters.
What will you need to know?
As this is an academy, you’ll learn on the job and during training, so we’re not expecting you to be Superman at this stage of your career. But as a guideline, this is what we think you’ll need:
- Understand databases and how they are used.
- Understand APIs, such as RESTful HTTP and SOAP.
- Have worked with common data formats, which could include CSV, XML, JSON.
- Be a self-starter and adaptable in a fast-paced environment.
- Have high energy and a passion for solving problems.
- Be an analytical thinker.
- Have a desire to continue learning.
- Be a team player and able to communicate with stakeholders at all levels.
What’s the culture like?
We offer the energy, intellectual challenge and excitement of start-up life, with the stimulating and supportive learning environment of an established business. We make mistakes, we learn from them and we back everything up with data and logic.
What are the benefits?
You’ll get to work in one of the hottest and fastest growing venture builders in the UK right now spanning over 20 ventures, 3,000 employees and three different locations. You’ll also be armed with the latest tech equipment and the unique ability to learn from our experts and ventures. And on top of this, you’ll get all the perks that the usual startup would have; as well as the ones large corporations do too.
How do I apply?
Follow the link and submit your CV along with a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Why are you suited to working in a start-up environment?
- What programming language(s) are you familiar with and where did you learn it/them?
- What personal project are you most proud of and why?