Counsel / Associate General Counsel (Commercial, Contracts and Technology)
BitGo is the leader in custody and security solutions and is the largest independent digital asset custodian in the world. Founded in 2013, BitGo is the first digital asset company to focus exclusively on serving institutional clients. BitGo also offers market leading trading, lending, and borrowing services and supports over 400 digital assets on its platform. BitGo provides the security and operational backbone for more than 500 institutional clients in 50 countries, including many of the world’s top cryptocurrency exchanges and platforms.
Our small and growing team seeks lawyers who are inquisitive, creative and practical and ready to effect change within our dynamic company and the blockchain / digital assets industry at large.
We look to hire a lawyer with demonstrated experience in supporting businesses by drafting and negotiating contracts, including by working with internal partners to create forms for new products and services. This attorney’s responsibilities will include:
- Negotiating template and non-standardized agreements with customers and vendors, from the very simple to the very complicated.
- Ongoing creation of user-friendly agreements to mitigate legal and commercial risks associated with product offerings.
- Providing legal and commercial expertise in areas such as digital assets, SaaS, software development and licensing, vendor agreements, payment services, intellectual property, market data distribution, partnerships and referrals, marketing, NDAs and custody.
- Preparing training materials and commercial summaries.
- Reviewing work product of other lawyers and paralegals for quality assurance and training.
- Coordinating with BitGo lawyers in other regions.
- Proactive identification and mitigation of legal and commercial risks relating to new and existing products.
- Pitching in whenever and wherever needed by our small but growing legal team, even if not directly related to responsibilities described above, possibly in relation to some of the following: privacy, subpoena and document production, corporate governance, digital assets or trust company regulatory, intellectual property/technology and HR/employment.
Your experience and skill set will cover many of the following:
- 6-10 years of related law firm and/or in-house legal experience at a financial services, crypto and/or technology company.
- Significant experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of business agreements, including at least some of the following: services agreements, software development and licensing agreements, trading agreements, financing agreements, procurement agreements, staking agreements, sponsorships and marketing services agreements.
- Fundamental understanding of and experience with negotiation of warranties, limitations of liability and indemnities, all in a manner consistent with identified risk tolerance and commercial sensitivities.
- Open source software.
- Comfort with negotiating agreements governed by non-US laws.
- Familiarity with data protection.
- Proven problem-solving skills.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Interest in blockchain and digital assets.
- You will be collegial and (at least usually) able to retain a sense of humor.
Why Join BitGo?
Disrupting an industry takes vision, innovation, passion, technical chops, drive to deliver, collaboration, and execution. Join a team of great people who strive for excellence and personify our corporate values of ownership, craftsmanship, and open communication. We are looking for new colleagues who bring innovative ways of thinking and problem solving, and who want risks to be part of the team that changes the world’s financial markets.
Here are some of the benefits of working at BitGo:
- Competitive base salary, bonus and stock options
- Computer equipment and workplace furniture to suit your needs
- Generous paid time off
- Great colleagues and inspiring startup environment
Cryptocurrencies are the most disruptive change the financial services industry has seen in years. Join us and you’ll be able to look back and say you were part of the team that transformed investing.