Do you believe that all students can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about working with students and supporting them as they reach new heights in learning? Teachers at Alpha have the opportunity to create and safeguard opportunities for students in under-resourced communities while collaborating with a joyful team of educators committed to sending our scholars to college.
As a Founding Second Grade Teacher, you will join a team that upholds high expectations, fosters social development, and facilitates the intellectual growth of our scholars. Our Founding Second Grade teachers will approach instruction with patience, creativity, and a growth mindset, while using activities and instructional methods that will motivate our scholars.
We are seeking passionate individuals who embody Alpha’s mission, vision and core beliefs- teachers who believe that all students can learn, that our scholars belong in college, and that student growth is a reflection of the teacher’s practice. We are looking for educators who are reflective in their practice and are willing to engage in conversations around educational equity and inclusivity. At Alpha, you will uphold rigorous expectations for all students, while leading from a place of empathy and understanding. Alpha is fiercely entrepreneurial and we are focused on supporting our scholars as they grow into self-reliant leaders who will achieve success in their school, college, and career. We're committed to finding educators who value and celebrate the diverse experiences of our scholars and their families, and who care deeply about addressing the inequities that exist in education.
What you’ll do…
Lead a joyful and academically rigorous classroom through activities such as:
- Develop lesson plans and supplementary materials to teach early reading, writing, and numeracy skills
- Teach curricula - Eureka and Fountas & Pinnell - aligned to Common Core standards along with social and emotional skills
- Use a variety of activities and instructional methods (songs, stories, media, structured games, art, outdoor activities, etc) to motivate and stimulate children’s abilities and interests
- Assess and analyze students’ performance and progress to ensure they are mastering developmental skills regularly, and responding to data to support all scholars to achieve academic success
Build Relationships with our joyful scholars, passionate staff, and committed families
- Maintain an open line of communication with families
- Work to maintain a positive culture on campus by building strong relationships with scholars and staff members
- Successfully strike a balance of warm and demanding in your communication with scholars
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior for a productive learning environment during class sessions
- Engage in professional development opportunities provided by Alpha
- Receive and implement feedback from experienced educational coaches
- Seek opportunities to collaborate with and learn from colleagues
- Be committed to growing your teaching through independent study and research
- A Bachelor’s degree
- A valid (or eligible for) California Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- 3+ years of teaching experience, more than 5 preferred
- Subject matter expertise and strong classroom management skills
- A strong commitment not only to our students, but also to your own continuous professional development. You possess the ability to receive and implement feedback quickly.
You stand out by being...
- Committed: You are committed to working with students in traditionally underserved communities. Approximately 80% of Alpha’s students are from under-resourced communities and will be the first in their families to go to college. The majority of our students are Latinx and/or Vietnamese.
- Collaborative: You are team-oriented and are able to implement school-wide systems effectively and consistently.
- Organized: You are self-motivated and reliable, with the ability to plan and execute tasks.
- Experienced: You have taught in an under-resourced community, and/or you have a background of shared experience with our scholars.
- Bilingual: Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online.