84.51° is a retail data science, insights and media company. We help the Kroger company, consumer packaged goods companies, agencies, publishers and affiliated partners create more personalized and valuable experiences for shoppers across the path to purchase.
Powered by cutting edge science, we leverage 1st party retail data from nearly 1 of 2 US households and 2BN+ transactions to fuel a more customer-centric journey utilizing 84.51° Insights, 84.51° Loyalty Marketing and our retail media advertising solution, Kroger Precision Marketing.
Join us at 84.51°!
Lead Data Scientist, Commercial Solutions Development
We are a community of data scientists that act as the voice of the customer – they share their story with us each day. Through simple, comprehensive, purposeful analytics, we fearlessly bring these customer stories and journeys to life. Our 360° customer view allows us to anticipate customer needs, thus enabling our clients to connect with their customers in meaningful, relevant ways. We expect all data scientists to be hands on with respect to the analysis of a retailer database, using the full suite of 84.51° technical tools – Python, Spark, R, and other specific internal tools – to create timely, relevant, and actionable insights.
The Commercial Insights & Loyalty – Commercial Solutions Development team is looking for a Lead Data Scientist to join their team. This role will manage the solutions development roadmap and aid in driving innovation in our commercial space. The work will be a mix of workstream ownership and hands on solution building. To be successful in this role, a candidate should:
- Have strong statistical and machine learning acumen and a passion around bringing new methodologies and capabilities to life to solve business problems
- Be comfortable thinking outside the box or creatively problem solving
- Enjoy working in an exploratory role with the ability to drive for results in ambiguity
- Be a strong collaborator, working with experts across the company to bring cutting edge analytics to our partners
- Be comfortable working in different technologies, flexing when needed (Azure Databricks, Tableau, 84.51° Stratum, PowerBI, Hadoop, GCP, etc.)
- Have great business acumen to understand current and future client needs
- Bring analytical skills and business acumen together to ideate and scope new and innovative solutions
- Partner closely with commercial development CSA lead to evaluate solutions for commercial feasibility, desirability, and viability
- Partner closely with methodology leads on team to balance methodological rigor and market needs
- Lead shaping and delivering solutions roadmaps to ensure we are working on the highest value projects within workstreams
- Lead and mentor junior data scientists
- Closely partner with teams across our business, inclusive of other data science teams and our commercial partners
- Scoping and management of projects from beginning to end, including all commercial elements to ensure that projects are delivered on time, within budget and to brief specification.
- Working closely with stakeholders to ensure sound knowledge of client objectives and customer insight, to subsequently design best-in-class solutions.
- Proactively manage the development of best practice and knowledge management, and champion the capture and sharing of knowledge across the data science community
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, analytics, data science or related discipline
- 4+ years of experience in consulting or professional services
- 4+ years of experience in extracting insights from large databases, translating market research into actionable solutions and presenting findings and recommendations to clients
- 4+ years of experience using advanced algorithms, programming languages, or technologies in the development of technical analytics solutions or capabilities.
- Experience using R, Python, or other similar statistical software to develop analytical solutions.
- Experience with data wrangling, data cleaning and prep, dimensionality reduction.
- Experience with Big Data concepts, tools, and architecture
- Ability to create computationally efficient solutions.
- Strong academic background in mathematics, statistics, computer science, economics, or similar discipline.
- Data visualization skills and ability to present technical solutions to non-technical audience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical, creative problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong business acumen; grocery and/or retail experience is a plus.
- Passionate about data, analysis and insights.
- Natural curiosity that welcomes and embraces change and willingness to try new things and to fail.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment.