Lead Software Engineer
In a digital economy, data is the 21st century gold rush. Imagine working for a big data company with 10 petabytes of data at your fingertips. A company where we are deriving insights from 35+ terabytes of new data every week. 84.51° is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Kroger Company. Our data is sourced from consumer transactions and behavior across 24 banners, 38 states and 58 million households. We are the research, development and innovation arm of the nation’s second largest retailer. We create advanced data driven solutions putting the customer at the center of all of our decisions.
What you’ll do
As a Lead Software Engineer, you will be part of a cross-functional team, applying your skill, experience and creativity towards building complex and scalable solutions. You will work in a highly collaborative environment, solving exciting problems while leveraging best engineering practices. We work full-stack and the team owns features end-to-end. On our teams, we’re working daily with product, design and data scientists to understand the problem and translate learnings into a pragmatic and effective solution. We happily pull in a peer when we need a pair to get through a tough problem or just for a second pair of eyes. We are always balancing new feature development with efforts to continuously improve both our efficiency and our infrastructure.
You should have:
- A passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration and ingenuity
- Experience with sustainable engineering practices such as automated testing (TDD), continuous integration, continuous deployment, and monitoring / alerting.
- Strong fundamentals, with overlap across our tech stack (Java, SpringBoot, RESTful APIs, Angular, Redux, NgRx, Docker, RabbitMQ)
- A passion for learning from and collaborating with a diverse, talented team and mentoring junior team members
You should have sizable passion in some of our core areas:
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, microservices, and event driven architectures
- Driving technical strategies, understanding which patterns to use to evolve our ecosystem – whether that’s using the strangler pattern to address legacy technology or greenfielding a brand new capability
- Strong exposure building digital platforms and enabling business strategies through a product & technology roadmap that multiple teams enable
- Bachelor’s degree typically in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Business Analytics or another technically strong program
- Minimum 6+ years working in modern full-stack web-application development with deep knowledge of back-end development in a microservices environment
- Experience building and shipping multiple large software products using agile methodologies
- Excellent communication skills - you can effectively work with engineers but at the same time collaborate with product owners, data analysts and stakeholders
Preferred skills include:
- Experience working on distributed or remote-first teams
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization
- Experience with DevOps best practices and tools
- Experience in Spark, Hadoop, Unravel, Hive, Google Cloud
- Experience in Media / Ad Industry