What We’re Looking For:
The Strategic Project Manager is responsible for managing and executing strategic projects that align with and drive the strategic mission and business objectives of 2U Cape Town. Strategic Project Managers are the bridge between key business stakeholders and the teams delivering the work. They are responsible for managing stakeholder expectations, ensuring cross-functional alignment, and guiding the team in delivering project success.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Manage and execute strategic projects, including:
- Integration projects
- Inter-office projects
- Systems and Technology projects
- Cross-functional strategic initiatives
- Project Planning:
- Compile and align business on Stakeholder List / RACI to define project team roles and responsibilities.
- Create and accurately maintain project plans, indicating accurate tasks, critical path, milestones, timings, assignees, and task dependencies.
- Ensure that business have supplied and thought about project success criteria ahead of project kick-off and provide guidance and support to help define and align on the criteria where required.
- Schedules and facilitates project kick-off meetings, to review project timings, agree to roles, and align the team on scope and project overview.
- Project Execution:
- Governance of project documentation in a structured manner on a Team Drive / Asana / Google Sheet.
- Compile project Risk Registers and manage and report on risks accordingly.
- Create mitigation plans and contingencies for each risk and manage the implementation thereof.
- Escalate project risks and issues to project sponsors to ensure project success.
- Lead project meetings and distribute meeting outcomes to ensure that next steps are planned for and expectations are managed at all times.
- Clearly communicate project expectations, risks, project progress and updates to internal and external project stakeholders on projects.
- Manage project team task execution to ensure successful project delivery.
- Provide regular status reports to the project sponsors.
- Manage project resource allocations and proactively identify potential project delays due to capacity limitations.
- Manage cross-functional collaboration across teams to successfully deliver on project objectives, and improve cross-functional processes to expedite project timelines.
- Technical project management:
- Scope management and change request processes.
- Monitor the project variables (effort, scope etc.) against the plan and the project performance baseline.
- Ensures business sign-off on UAT and Production deployment.
- Determine the project management approach to follow for the specific projects, within the 2U PM framework (Agile and Waterfall).
Strategic Operational Support:
- Finalise all activities to formally close the project, including closing off project codes and running project retrospectives
- Provide PM consulting to stakeholders to lead best practice PM methodologies across the business.
- Support the operations of the Strategic Projects team to improve the processes, documentation, and approaches used across projects.
- Review new SPM requests and assess viability through the SPM selection criteria.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 5-7 years experience as a project manager for systems and development or strategic projects
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a technology-related field or relevant ICT work experience as a Project Manager
- Good knowledge and handling of project and program management methodology and techniques; e.g. PMBOK(R)
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Self-motivated and able to find opportunities for improvement
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Comfortable working in a constantly changing atmosphere and prioritizing work appropriately
- Proactive attitude
- Organized and methodical work process
- Strong attention to detail
- Team player who does not need extensive supervision
For special project milestones, it may be necessary to work outside of regular working hours.
No direct reports.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- 4% 2U contribution towards Discovery Life Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.