What We’re Looking For:
The Course Services Manager is responsible for overseeing the development and deployment of all course pages for 2U’s online degree programs. Reporting to the Presentations Team Lead in 2U’s Cape Town office, with a functional dotted line to the US Director, the Course Services Manager will be responsible for ensuring on-time delivery of course components through an efficient and effective workflow.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Manage a large team tasked with assembling or revising asynchronous content in 2U’s proprietary systems in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate an expertise in workflow and be capable of problem solving for blockers.
- Advise on best practices with regard to designing lecture content for a digital environment, as well as support 2U standards and best practices for end-to-end course production.
- Collaborate with vendors to monitor copyedit, format, and graphic design progress and ensure the high quality of work required to meet 2U standards.
- Monitor the volume and throughput of QA test plan execution by coordinators to ensure benchmarks are successfully met.
- Support continuous improvement by developing and implementing action plans to address quality trends identified.
- Understand and identify workflow efficiencies in and across each of the functional areas; think critically about workflow improvement.
- Establish feedback loops with US based leadership (managers and directors) and act as thought partners with US based leadership.
- Prepare and administer the employee’s performance review based on feedback from the dotted line manager.
- Ensure both SA and US employees are working together and aligned on deliverables needed for courses.
- Monitor employee engagement through bi-weekly check-ins with employees and dotted line manager in the US; coach employees for work/life and workload balance.
- Monitor employee workload and productivity through provided dashboards.
- Ensure employees are receiving and completing all training to be successful in their role.
- Prevent Employee from going off on strategic tangents.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
The Course Services team requires a keen eye and ear for detail and the ability to be effective within a system of many moving parts. Candidates should have a track record that clearly demonstrates these capabilities. Applicants from any professional domain will be considered, but all those applying must have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited 3-year college or university.
- At least 3-5 years of work experience in a professional web-production, technical support or ed tech setting.
- Experience and passion in education technology (Moodle, Canvas, Blackboard, etc).
- Professional or personal experience with web content-development or technical support.
- Experience handling and tracking digital assets in a collaborative work environment.
- Proficient skills in Google Suite (Docs, spreadsheets, Slideshows, etc) and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple assignments simultaneously while maintaining a positive outlook and a collegial, professional demeanor.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to communicate in a courteous, tactful, professional manner to internal teams and vendors.
- Strong client-centered focus with a commitment to student and faculty satisfaction and success.
- Ability to work and contribute in a team context or independently.
- Enthusiasm and ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and a dynamic culture.
- Familiarity with HTML, AWS and Jira.
- Course Services is a new function within the Academic Presentation team that combines Learning Design and Learning Technology expertise. You will need to be proactive in refining processes and systems, and manage ambiguity well.
- 2U is a fast-paced, high-pressured environment and you will be expected to keep up (while getting the necessary level of support). You are expected to be proactive, self-directing and to speak up when you need additional support.
- Teamwork is critical to achieving success in this role. You will need to establish strong relationships with peers and leaders in Production teams.
- We don’t micromanage. So, you have to diagnose problems and brainstorm solutions without any prompts and manage up appropriately.
- Things change all the time. 2U is a very dynamic environment which means that you will need the ability to adapt to change quickly.
- Feedback forms part of the daily rhythms in the company and you will need to be receptive to providing and receiving continuous feedback.
- Course Services Coordinators.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.