The Senior Director, Data Engineering leads a team of data engineers to design, develop and operate systems that provide business users with the data and decision support tools required to meet operational needs. This role requires analytical aptitude, engineering and programming skills, management, intellectual curiosity and the ability to communicate results effectively.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
- Strategic Direction - Serve as the Technical Lead on the Data Portfolio Leadership Team and collaborate with that group to set a strategic roadmap for the portfolio which maximizes value delivery
- Architectural Direction - Work closely with Software and Enterprise Architects to design and deliver technology solutions in accordance with Enterprise architectural standards
- Technical Leadership - Oversee the technical execution of projects ensuring sound engineering decision making in accordance with time and resource constraints. Build, deploy and support data platform and manage the underlying data infrastructure (e.g., data lakes, databases, ETL jobs, visualization tools, etc…)
- People Management - Hire, engage and develop a team of data engineers. Provide leadership to multiple business intelligence teams, managing them on a day to day basis and supervising their work products
- Practice Improvement - Monitor, analyze and continuously improve the core business and technical processes used in your teams and projects (e.g., code review, testing, release management, documentation, task planning, etc…)
What we're looking for:
- Proven experience in leveraging data to drive outcomes
- Excellent collaboration skills and the ability to work with Tech leadership and engineering stakeholders to frame and solve complex problems
- Excellent communication skills to present ideas in oral and written format to the broader data team as well as business and engineering stakeholders
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a fun, casual, professional and productive team atmosphere.
- Enthusiasm and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, information technology or a related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 6 years experience designing and managing databases, data models and data warehouses.
- Minimum 4 years experience managing ETL pipelines including pipeline design, scheduling, monitoring and optimization (e.g., Jenkins, Airflow, etc…)
- Minimum 6 years of experience in software development with Python and SQL
- Experience working with container technologies (e.g., Kubernetes, Docker, etc...)
- Familiarity with the AWS-specific technologies, ETL, and streaming ecosystem a plus
- Familiarity with Salesforce and/or MuleSoft technologies a plus
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 9 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.
2U will consider qualified job applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law, including Los Angeles' Fair Chance Ordinance.