The Academic Product team makes up the core of outward-facing user experience of 2U’s product offering and the technology used by faculty and Curriculum & Learning team to plan and assemble both asynchronous and synchronous content.
This is the “face” of 2U insofar as it is the destination for students, faculty, administrators and support users alike to interact with each other, share information, consume content, and perform the necessary operations to complete a degree with a 2U partner. Our goal is to create an enterprise-class course management product suite and world class learning and teaching experience platform that’s scalable and flexible.
We are motivated to build a team where members bring sound computer science fundamentals and a diverse set of skills and experiences to the table.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
You are a competent Sr. Engineer who can claim the following expert skills:
- Distributed systems, including fault tolerant design, event sourcing and other distributed system architectural pattern
- Container technology like Docker, and familiarity with Swarm/Kubernetes/Mesos
- Data technology: Relational databases (like PostgreSQL, MySQL), Key Value stores (like Redis)
- Writing High Performance Code
- Strong and methodical debugging skills in a micro service architecture
- Lead technical design of applications and participate in larger system design efforts
- Providing technical guidance and mentoring more junior team-members
You Have Experience In
- Being able to describe and define a business process; also improving or re-working a business process and how to implement it
- Collaborating with the stakeholders (product managers, business analysts, and data science teams) to define and refine requirements
- Planning and estimating development tasks and short-term projects
- Relating your project deliverables to products you are building and strategy behind them
- Advocating for end user needs in software you are building
Over time, we expect engineers in this role to grow by learning and practicing the following skills:
- Participating in application and system level technical design
- Conducting technical interviews
- Participating in planning staffing needs on your team
- Metrics driven software development
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 9 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.