JOB TITLE: Senior World Designer
LOCATION: Brighton, UK
FUNCTION: Game Design/Writer
REPORTS TO: Lead Level Designer
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is looking for an experienced Senior World Designer to join the team in Brighton and help to form the core of a new design group. As far as our games are concerned, World Content is a delightful combination of game systems and large scale level design that creates compelling reasons to explore the world.
What You Will Do:
- Design, prototype, polish, and bug-fix open-world experiences using Hangar 13’s proprietary 3D software and scripting tools
- Collaborate daily with artists, designers, engineers, and other team members to craft unforgettable gameplay moments
- Pitch new design ideas to the team, and find innovative ways to improve upon existing designs
- “Own” your design ideas and assume responsibility for making them great, from concept to completion
- Mentor junior designers, helping them improve their design practices
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
- You have a proven track record of at least one shipped title, ideally more than one
- You’re comfortable with both conceptual and practical aspects of game design
- You are experienced with 3D world and level building tools
- You work well in a small team, are open to constructive criticism, and know how to listen to feedback, as well as give professional feedback to others
- You’re comfortable with a development schedule that is playtest-driven and focused on iteration and polish
- You’re self-motivated and proactive
- You have experience with one or more of the following:
- Quest or Mission design; player flow through a space, player goals
- Mechanics and level experience; player mechanics, system design, etc.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations effectively
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- You have experience with programming or scripting
- You have experience developing Open World games
- You have a passion for creating rich narrative experiences
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic).
We work collaboratively across our 4 locations to develop games as one global team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console in a diverse and inclusive environment!
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.