When team members told us they needed more flexibility around where and how they worked, we acted, creating two options to accommodate two different styles of work. One non-negotiable principle along the way? We had to retain our deep culture of collaboration, both among ourselves and with our clients. Introducing Work From Near and Work From Anywhere at WillowTree. Learn more here.
Our Controller will be an integral part of our leadership at WillowTree and will need to maintain an in-office presence in one of our office locations in a Work From Near capacity. Please indicate which location(s) you're interested in via the application form.
Who We Are
WillowTree is one of the largest independent digital consultancies in the US providing strategy, research, design, and engineering services to Fortune 500 companies all over the world. Some of WillowTree’s current clients include HBO, Hilton, Anheuser-Busch, PepsiCo, and more.
Reporting to the SVP of Finance, you'll mentor and develop our growing accounting team to meet the rising needs of the business as WillowTree grows and scales. In partnership with the SVP of Finance, you will be the primary subject matter expert regarding GAAP and internal accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance in all areas. Strategically, you will lead accounting operations, tax, and financial reporting responsibilities.
We understand our responsibility to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place within the tech industry, while pushing to make our industry more representative. Because of this responsibility, we need candidates who value diversity and inclusion through their work, team collaboration, or mentorship.
- Oversee all accounting operations, tax, and financial reporting ensuring compliance with GAAP and internal accounting policies and procedures
- Lead and develop an Accounting team (4-7 team members) with a focus on professional growth and performance management
- Liaise between WillowTree's Executive Leadership team and Accounting Operations to provide real-time reporting and analysis on business and financial metrics
- Oversee the monthly close process, including journal entries, reconciliations, inter-company, and other balance sheet and P&L accounts.
- Review contracts and ensure that revenue is recognized in accordance with GAAP (ASC 606)
- Implement and maintain effective internal controls and processes to ensure the accuracy of financial reporting, integrity of corporate data, and best practices
- Oversee filing of local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and taxes
- Manage quarterly financial reporting package for banking partners
- Manage stock-based compensation and equity roll-forwards
- Lead annual financial audits and manage financial statement footnote disclosure
- Evaluate new technical accounting developments and recommend appropriate actions; drive process improvement at all levels of the organization
- Support internal operational and compliance programs
- Support ad hoc reporting for annual budgeting and planning process
- 5+ years progressive experience in Accounting management roles
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business Administration with an Accounting emphasis OR a CPA
- Strong understanding of GAAP and technical accounting
- Track record of inspiring, building, and leading high performance accounting teams
- Proven ability to provide strong leadership and adaptive interpersonal communication methods
- Ability to work independently without considerable oversight, and to act decisively
- Experience in ERP systems
- Experience in designing and implementing accounting processes and controls
- Excellent collaboration and relationship-building skills
- Analytical; High attention to detail, organized
- Strong communication skills, with ability to distill and effectively communicate financial information at all levels in the organization
- Big 4 public accounting experience
- IPO or public company accounting experience
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree celebrates our differences and provides equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.