The Vimeo Player is not only the prettiest way to experience video online, it’s also a hefty technical challenge. Delivering a quality and consistent experience thousands of times per second, across any device, is what the the Player Team is all about. This role will not only be the authority on maintaining the Vimeo desktop player, but will also strongly influence and advise the TV, mobile, and native playback experiences. New video delivery technology, player feature improvement, maintenance, and monitoring will all fall under this Lead's purview.
What you'll do:
- Manage a small but scrappy group of engineers who build Vimeo’s HTML5 Player
- Partner with product managers, project managers, and other engineering leaders to clearly define and document processes and procedures for your team.
- Delegate tasks and projects as needed, ensuring your team is hitting target dates with quality code
- Keep Vimeo’s engineering culture and vibe as awesome as it is today while organizing and driving the productivity of your team
- Mentor, motivate and provide feedback as necessary
- Work closely with Product management to develop and improve the Vimeo viewer experience across any and all devices, from phones to TVs
- Work closely with Project management to ensure coordination and prioritization of project resources within your area is aligned to the business
- Work closely with Transcoding and Delivery teams and external CDN vendors to maintain and optimize a seamless video playback experience everywhere
- Evaluate and test new video delivery technologies and player optimizations.
What we're expecting:
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with process, organization and development of engineering teams
- Deep understanding of HTTP/HTTP2.0/EME/MSE specs
- Proven experience with the ins-and-outs of different video delivery methods (DASH, HLS, Progressive etc).
- Strong knowledge of video performance metrics (time to start, buffering ratio, etc), what causes such issues and how to remedy them. Uses data to drive decisions around technology and user experience optimization
- Passion passion around continuous education, research, and development around the latest video technologies.
- Willing to work outside of textbook norms. Creative thinker who can take traditional software development practices and pull from them the aspects that will work best for Vimeo
- You should have a great sense of humor and a relaxed presence but take your job seriously and approach your work with a sense of urgency
- Top notch communication skills (written and verbal)
- BS or MS in a Computer Science related field, or equivalent technical experience
- Strong portfolio or public code (Github, Bitbucket, etc.)
About the Engineering team:
Vimeo's Engineering team is responsible for ensuring our site and apps continue to perform above and beyond industry standards for our users worldwide. We work tirelessly to improve Vimeo’s user, desktop, and mobile web and native app experiences. Some of the our team’s most notable achievements include a complete rebuild of the Vimeo player to embrace open web standards and default to HTML5, and building the very first video-sharing site to support high-definition (HD) uploading and playback.
Vimeo’s mission is to empower creators to make, share and sell amazing videos directly to viewers worldwide, in the highest quality possible and with no interruptive advertising. Vimeo is home to the world’s leading video creators and the hundreds of millions of viewers who love them. We’d love to welcome you to both our team, and our community.
Founded in 2004 and based in New York City, Vimeo, Inc is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI).