The Video Encoding team is responsible for everything that happens to the video between video upload and playback, as well as moving video technology forward through R&D. We keep track of image and video compression, focusing on streaming and packaging optimizations. As a Senior Software Engineer for the team, you will help in fostering and delivering the technical innovations that empower all Vimeo products. You will be responsible for maintaining and improving the entire transcoding pipeline, reserving some time to research and discover new trends and technologies appearing in the industry. Also, a good portion of your time will be dedicated to helping integrate your idea in the Vimeo systems and surface your technical excellence in outreach and presentation events -- this is a unique opportunity to interact with the entirety of the video pipeline, from start to finish, including the core
What you’ll do:
- You will be a key part of a team of developers working on the cutting edge, cloud based award winning video-creation platform.
- Develop and maintain QoE (Quality of Experience) impact, making sure video playback stays top notch
- Work on applied research topics to develop and innovate video applications, as well as be on the frontline to design, and implement technical changes in every aspect.
- Write articles, blog posts and presentations highlighting your technical achievements
- Collaborate with other teams in all aspects of the software development lifecycle, inside and outside the company
Skills and knowledge you should possess:
- Strong systems programming skills
- Ability to read and understand multimedia-related specifications, implementing portions of it in code as needed
- Video encoding/transcoding experience and frameworks (such as ffmpeg, and x264).
- Passion for the technology and engineering principles
- Excellent communication, collaboration and influencing skills
- Working knowledge of CDN vendors (fasly, akamai).
- Experience working with cloud providers (ie. AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Effective contributions to open source multimedia projects.
What should you bring to the team?
- Perspective and deep understanding of the trends in the multimedia world
- Leading the development of significant features or projects, transforming a concept into reality
- Team player, get-it-done attitude and quick learner
Vimeo is the world’s leading all-in-one video software solution. Our platform enables any professional, team, and organization to unlock the power of video to create, collaborate and communicate. We proudly serve our growing community of over 200 million users — from creatives to entrepreneurs to the world’s largest companies. Vimeo is headquartered in New York City with offices around the world. At Vimeo, we believe our impact is greatest when our workforce of over 650 passionate, dedicated people, represents our diverse and global community. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer where diversity, equity and inclusion is championed in how we build our products, develop our leaders, and strengthen our culture.
Learn more at www.vimeo.com
Learn more at www.vimeo.com/jobs