There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our job at Varda is to make those products and bring them back down. We at Varda are proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.
Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.
While our vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. Our conops are clear and use cases have been proven out over decades of ISS-based research and development.
Join Varda to help leverage space for business.
About This Role
As a software engineer focused on test, you will have the unique opportunity to design and develop software infrastructure to test both the hardware and software on our spacecraft. You will be expected to create testing frameworks and paradigms from the ground up, and your validation will be the last line of defense before our vehicles fly to space.
- Design test solutions for space flight hardware and software consisting of both in-house developed avionics hardware as well as commercial off the shelf components
- Develop modular, reusable test and automation software in Python and similar languages for manufacturing and engineering design verification
- Architect and own automated data review tools to provide automated pass/fail criteria for both software and hardware products
- Write automation software to interact with units under test, test equipment, instrumentation, and production systems
- Work closely with software and avionics engineers to ensure final software and hardware products are ready for flight
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum two years of experience with hardware development and test software development
- Strong working knowledge of python
- Experience automating rack hardware such as NI Chassis and Power Supplies
- Experience communicating with serial interfaces such as RS232, RS422 and CAN
- Experience with version control such as Git
- Experience designing high reliability or safety critical systems
- Experience designing unit tests, automated hardware tests, and integration tests
- Experience with one or more real time operating systems
- Comfortable with oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, communications protocols (CAN, I2C, SPI)
- Strong electrical fundamentals and ability to read schematics, datasheets and dense documentation
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with sensor modalities (IMU, GPS, 4-20mA, RTD, etc)
- Experience with Low level knowledge of microcontrollers (bus architecture, clock trees, power management, DMA, registers, timers)
- Strong software development and debugging skills
- Proven design of working mixed signal electrical systems
- Experience writing code that controls external hardware and other equipment over USB, ethernet, RS232, RS422, CAN, SPI, and/or I2C
- Experience with test equipment and measurement techniques such as Oscilloscopes, DMMs, DAQs, etc. to verify and validate electronic performance
- Basic understanding of electronics with ability to read basic schematics to understand functionality
- Experience developing application, test, or automation software in an interdisciplinary environment
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Exciting team of professionals at the top of their field to working by your side
- Working in El Segundo, CA - an awesome Southern California beach city with quick access to entertainment and outdoor activities
- Equity in a fully funded space startup with potential for significant growth
- 401(k) matching
- Unlimited PTO
- Health insurance, including Vision and Dental
- Lunch and snacks provided on site every day. Dinners provided twice a week.
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.