The environment of space hold the potential to craft products that profoundly enhance life on Earth. Varda is at the forefront of this endeavor, harnessing the unique environment of low earth orbit to produce these innovations and reintroduce them to our world. Our mission transcends mere exploration; we're expanding the economic horizons of humanity.
At Varda, you'll be positioned at the nexus of ambition and expertise. Our seasoned team, with its rich legacy in aerospace and technology, has honed its skills in the corridors of industry giants. Here, your contributions will be both cherished and critiqued by leaders who, with a wealth of experience behind them, are now devoted to the realm of extraterrestrial manufacturing.
While our aspirations soar high, our path is grounded in technical pragmatism and operational viability. Our conceptual operations are crystalline material processing and reentry, backed by years of research and development anchored in the International Space Station's, and commercial space sectors expansive achievements.
Join Varda, and work to finally create a bustling in-space ecosystem.
About This Role
Varda is providing internships in all areas for Fall 2024. These internships will range between the months of August and December, dependent upon the university schedule of the selected students. Internships are full-time and on-site in Los Angeles, CA.
Please select your top TWO department choices when prompted in the application below
Internships at Varda are optimal for students looking to grow technically and professionally while working on impactful projects critical to the company’s success. You will be working on a collaborative team in a startup environment while being able to learn from some of most accomplished and experienced aerospace professionals in the world. We’re dedicated to providing an experience that will let your decisions and contributions help drive Varda’s success.
- Own or contribute to hardware or software design to support development of Spacecraft or payload
- Create or support test campaigns and build test stands
- Perform necessary analysis to support development and testing
- Pursuing a bachelor's or master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineer, or Electrical Engineering (or similar engineering degrees)
- Demonstrated ability to solve engineering problems
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering and equipment fundamentals
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Desire to work in a technically complex and fast-moving environment
Preferred Skills And Experience
- Previous internship or co-op experience
- Previous experience on technical project teams (i.e. Rocket club, formula SAE, etc.)
- Mechanical Engineer: Familiarity with NX, GD&T, Thermal Desktop, Matlab/Simulink, Simscape, or other engineering programs
- Electrical Engineer: Familiarity with Altium, Matlab, Python, PCB design, Circuit Debugging, Oscilloscopes, Component Test Racks, Hardware-in-the-loop testing (HIL or HITL), wire harness design and building
- Material Science: Familiarity with optics and fiber cable testing, process engineering, design-of-experience, experience running vacuum chambers, experience working in a clean room and/or glovebox environment
- Software Engineer: Familiarity with Microprocessors and/or FPGAs, C/C++, Python scripting experience, experience setting up CI pipelines and unit tests
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Exciting team of professionals at the top of their field to working by your side
- Working in El Segundo, CA - an awesome Southern California beach city with quick access to entertainment and outdoor activities
- Equity in a fully funded space startup with potential for significant growth
- 401(k) matching
- Unlimited PTO
- Health insurance, including Vision and Dental
- Lunch and snacks provided on site every day. Dinners provided twice a week.
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.
Varda Space Industries, Inc. participates in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security E-Verify program. The E-Verify program is an Internet-based employment eligibility verification system operated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Learn more about the E-Verify program.
E-Verify Notice Right To Work Notice