The Farmer’s Dog is a leading tech-enabled pet health brand, on a mission to disrupt the $75B global pet food industry. The company is VC-backed by the early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, Sweetgreen, and Glossier.
In an industry with little regulation, constant recalls, and rampant misleading advertising, The Farmer’s Dog brings a fresh perspective grounded in quality, transparency, and personalization. Through a combination of proprietary technology and a lot of heart, we’re completely reimagining what pet food is and how it’s made and delivered. Our recipes are designed in partnership with vets, freshly-cooked to USDA standards using human-grade ingredients, and sent to customers through customized subscription meal plans. Since cooking and delivering their first batch of food from a cramped Brooklyn kitchen in 2014, The Farmer’s Dog has fed millions of fresh, healthy meals to dogs nationwide.
The company was launched after Brett’s battle to cure the stomach issues of his Rottweiler, Jada. He quickly realized just how broken the commercial pet food industry was - even the “organic” and “natural” varieties proved to be heavily processed - and it was only when his vet recommended a fresh, home-cooked diet that Jada began to improve and was eventually cured. Having witnessed first-hand the power of fresh food, he teamed up with Jonathan to rethink the industry from the ground-up and create the product they wished had existed for their own dogs (and dogs everywhere).
Join The Farmer’s Dog team as we continue to figure out ways of bringing peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Only “dream job” applicants, please. #mustlovedogs
At a time when paid advertising is easier than ever to execute (and ignore), brands that are able to consistently earn media and influence are often best positioned to cut through the clutter, stand out, and win. We’re looking for a PR and Communications leader who can help build and grow The Farmer’s Dog brand through an “earned-first” approach, from developing an overall communications strategy to executing PR programs and partnerships that keep The Farmer’s Dog top-of-mind (for the right reasons) across all of our relevant stakeholder groups.
- Develop and implement proactive PR strategy and measurement framework to set the brand up for success in the short-, medium-, and long-term
- Determine the optimal mix of external agencies and software/tools to execute our PR strategy, and manage them on a day-to-day basis
- Collaborate with all functional areas - from Marketing to Engineering to Customer Experience - to regularly uncover potential hooks and ensure “PR thinking” is reflected in all company initiatives
- Craft press materials (briefs, pitches, releases, backgrounders, interview guides, award submissions, etc.) as needed, keeping them organized and up-to-date
- Build and maintain direct relationships with highest-priority press outlets and partners, responding to in-bound inquiries and proactively pitching ideas
- Seek out thought leadership, interview, and speaking opportunities for our co-founders and other members of The Farmer’s Dog team
- A holistic brand thinker with a deep understanding of how PR and earned media can be used in service of building and growing brands
- A clear, responsive communicator, verbally and in writing
- Incredibly organized and a masterful manager of your own, and others’, time
- Well-connected in the media/press community, and perpetually curious about seeking out new partners and solutions
- Adaptable to different working styles, mindsets, and personalities, showcasing a willingness to collaborate with all
- Excited about proactively coming up with and implementing "earned-first" ideas
- Attentive to detail with high standards of quality and performance while maintaining an (authentically) friendly, positive attitude
- Comfortable using -- and proactively asking for -- data to inform ideas and decisions
- Flexible and open-minded, but also have strong convictions and a POV that you can clearly communicate and defend
- A DOG PERSON -- even if you don’t have one!
Health, dental, avocado toast, puppies