Note - This is a role for summer 2020 internships for Software Engineers (C++, Python, React), Infrastructure Engineers and Quantitative Developers (Python, Rust).
FinTech, meet Sports Betting
Smarkets is a peer-to-peer exchange for sports and political betting that has handled over $15 billion in trading volume since 2010. We have offices in London, Los Angeles & Malta with staff from 35 different countries.
Our goal is to upend the sports betting industry by creating a transparent platform that creates the best value for users with not only the fairest odds but also the best technology, alongside a superior customer experience. We've been able to achieve this as a result of our dynamic, self-starting company philosophy which puts the engineers in charge of driving change.
As a company we use a range of modern computing languages and tools which have been conceptualised and implemented by the engineering group - Kubernetes, React, React Native, Rust, C++17 & Python to name a few.
Ultimately our culture has been responsible for the work the engineering staff have achieved. We aim to have a relaxed and collaborative working environment to solve the challenging problems that we face. In-house chefs, transparent salaries and monthly parties are some of the highlights of being a Smarketeer.
Engineering at Smarkets
Smarkets was founded by two software engineers who were interested in applying financial trading techniques to the world of online betting. Engineering remains at the core of our business, and this is reflected in the fact that almost 70% of the company work in engineering or data related roles.
Unlike normal graduate schemes, where you might not get much say in what you’re working on, all engineers joining Smarkets do rotations in each team. This helps you to decide which team you’re best suited to, and also allows you to learn about every part of the exchange. These rotations involve working on production code.
Problems we’re working on
- Implementing bot-blocking measures to protect the exchange
- Managing the data warehouse and extending our ETL pipelines
- Collaborating with designers to create the best customer experience possible
- Figuring out how we incorporate more external services into Smarkets whilst retaining ultra-low latency
- Improving the collection, processing, storage, and dissemination of our data across the company
- Improving our system capacity to handle higher order rates
- Developing new services to enable to Smarkets to operate in more countries
- Building new developer tools
- Working on our new-generation mobile app in React Native
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies:
- C++ for the core exchange system
- Python for application services
- React and React Native for our web and mobile apps
- Postgres and Redis for data persistence
- Kafka for asynchronous messaging
- Kubernetes and Docker for running our services in production
- AWS to host our infrastructure and server fleet
- Prometheus and Grafana for telemetry and monitoring
You should apply if:
- You want the freedom and responsibility that comes from working within a self-managing structure
- You are excited by the challenge of running a web service to meet the unique scalability demands of sports betting (although an interest in sports is not a requirement)
- You are comfortable working in an evolving organisation that adapts quickly
- You want to work with people who are genuinely passionate about software engineering
- Meaningful technical work, shipping code in production from the first week.
- Mentorship from senior engineers to allow you to grow as engineers
- Three freshly prepared meals each day in our fantastic rooftop kitchen
- A lovely, tranquil office to work in - right in the heart of Saint Katharine Docks, complete with meditation rooms
- And yes, we also have the industry standard perks such as a foosball table and massive screens for gaming with your colleagues, team activities and monthly get-togethers - known as “the Expiration party”
The fine print:
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.
Smarkets is an equal opportunities employer and takes active steps to prevent bias and discrimination in our interview process. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity.