Who are we?
Smarkets is a betting exchange for sports and political trading that has handled over £29 billion in volume since 2010. Our company mission is to fix the betting industry with the best products and best prices. We are upending the sports betting industry by growing a transparent platform that offers the best value for bettors, with the fairest odds, best technology and a superior customer experience.
Smarkets is a Series B tech company that brings a professional, product-led approach to our mission. We embrace collaboration, trust, innovation and scientific rigour, while we celebrate ambitious goals and passionate energy. Our culture rewards people on merit and excellence and we strive to provide a working environment where recognition, challenges, support, collaboration, interesting benefits and shared meals provided by our chefs mix together to let you unlock your potential, grow with us and become your best self.
Join our team and play a pivotal role in shaping the future of our betting trading technology landscape.
Role expectations and responsibilities
Join the Pricing Team at Smarkets!
We design, develop, deploy and operate the real-time distributed exchange systems that run 24/7 all year long. Our responsibilities include designing, implementing and maintaining the most complex infrastructure setups including a mix between self-hosted, shared/dedicated collocations and pure cloud.
We care a lot about reliability, high availability, fault tolerance, throughput, latency and operational excellence. Our high availability requirements dictate emphasis on testability and reproducibility alongside monitoring and alerting.
Our tech stack includes C++ 20, Rust, and bits of Python. We use PostgreSQL as our main DBMS technology and Apache Kafka for queuing. Our CI is based on Nix and we ship multiple times a week to production. Our CD is based on Jenkins, GitLab CI. We practice Infrastructure-as-Code with Terraform. We are building advanced and high scale Kubernetes based microservices infrastructure using AWS cloud.
- You are a key player maintaining and augmenting our existing and new backend services
- You have a solid knowledge of cloud-based application and services architecture patterns, the capabilities of several tech stacks - including several languages - their performances and impact on day to day productivity
- You have fundamental system administration on linux-based Operating system
- You are proficient in Python and Bash scripting
- You have commercial work experience using PostgreSQL database, Redis data store
- You enjoy collaborating with other team members to create solutions
- You are great at balancing the act between perfect/idealistic design and the pragmatic need of the short term goals
- You actively help defining and reinforcing the standard for engineering best practices
- You explore and promote the next big technologies that will keep the company’s edge
- You have 2-4 years experience in DevOps engineering
Benefits and Values
We offer a competitive salary package and benefits, along with a dynamic and collaborative work environment. Our values are at the heart of everything that we do. We want to see all our employees push to win, make others better, give a shit, be a pro and bring the energy.
We believe these are the fundamentals to ensure we are delivering what's expected of us in the best way possible for ourselves and for those around us. Your work with us will make an impact and your voice will be heard. We are a diverse team with a strong work ethic and plenty of hunger to win. We have designed our benefits offering around Health, Wealth, Lifestyle and Development. These include:
- Stock options which vests over 4 years
- Pension scheme - an impressive pension scheme via Aviva. We will match 6% if you choose the same
- Health insurance
- Fresh fruit and snacks provided in the office everyday! (tea, coffee and soft drinks also included)
- We're a member of a cycle to work scheme
- We want to continue to invest in all our employees and do so by providing a £1000 yearly education budget that can be used on courses, conferences, books or training
- 25 days paid holiday + bank holidays to enjoy - you have the choice to carry over 5 days to the next year!
- Flexible working - we want to provide a hybrid model approach to working and provide you with 2 days a week working from home
- 20 days a year of global working - we provide the ability to work from anywhere in the world for up to 20 days a year
- We will provide you lunch everyday in the office - you don't need to worry about what to make or buy for lunch as we have it sorted with top quality food served by our in-house chef Alex!