Smarkets is an award-winning, product-focused sports betting technology company headquartered in central London, with offices in Los Angeles and Malta. Our strength is people, technology and trading, with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology.
Smarkets prides itself on collecting self-starting individuals seeking challenge, and our team members' experiences show this. Come join former journalists, researchers, scientists, PhDs, financial and adtech engineers, and even chefs at one of the most dynamic workforces in London.
Our vision is to upend the betting industry by offering prices as close to fair value as possible on sports, politics, and other events. We are doing this by using technology and the smartest people to solve problems.
We're a fast-growing team of 120 people, boasting 32 nationalities, with a platform that has handled over £13 billion worth of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to disrupt one of the oldest industries in the world. We have previously ranked second in the Sunday Times Tech Track 100 (2017) and been the fastest-growing fintech business in the Financial Times’ FT 1000 list of European companies (2018), while our current Glassdoor rating is 4.6/5.
We are seeking a Junior PR and Communications Officer with at least one year’s experience (agency or in-house) who is a proactive multi-tasker, unfazed by challenges, open-minded to exploring new ideas, willing to give and listen to feedback, and generally someone who is comfortable building relationships. A positive attitude, excellent writing and communication skills are sought for this role. A degree in journalism, media or communications is preferred.
You will have a strong understanding of current affairs and how Smarkets can be part of the conversation (mostly politics and sport, some other special events), as well as the ability to tell our corporate story (disruptive growth business with a progressive company culture).
Areas of responsibility
You will be joining a small in-house team whose responsibilities include generating press coverage, building media relationships, writing content for a variety of mediums, media monitoring, and much more. Smarkets has consistently received favourable coverage for its product, company culture, and business growth and you will help maintain and improve this along with the rest of the team. The workload will be spontaneous and sometimes hectic, but the atmosphere is always cheerful and fun!
- At least one year of PR experience (agency or in-house)
- Bachelor’s degree, with a passion for PR
- Strong writer - creative writing, copywriting, press releases and other written materials
- Media/Influencer relations - knowledge of, and contacts in, tech/business/sports/politics media and an ability to build meaningful relationships
- Publicity generation - consistently securing positive items of media coverage
- Idea generation - creativity across campaigns, social, features and copy
- Organisation - ability to manage own workload and prioritisation
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Confidence and networking ability
- Business aware, proactive and ambitious
- Strong work ethic, integrity and empathy
- Calm under pressure and in changing circumstances, flexible, friendly and helpful
- Be an all-round Smarkets champion internally and externally
- In-house experience in a fast-growing, tech startup
- Awareness of the fintech/tech startup scene
- Strong knowledge of politics and top-level sport
- Familiarity with the betting industry
- A strong understanding of digital and social media trends
- An unprecedented, transparent and agile workplace
- Flexible working hours
- Unlimited holidays
- Dedicated team of three private chefs who cook free breakfast, lunch and dinners
- Well stocked complimentary pantry of drinks and snacks
- Central London, penthouse office overlooking trendy St Katharine Docks
- Social events on a frequent basis
- Fluid work environment with sit-stand desks
- Mental health and wellbeing support (yoga, counselling, meditation)
The starting salary is flexible and it will be dependent on experience. Each employee receives an amount of options and your salary will be determined by peer review. This is a full-time job based at our head office on the 7th floor at 1 Commodity Quay, St Katharine Docks, London, E1W 1AZ.
Please note that we will be unable to provide Visa sponsorship for this role.